+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Return your library books!!!!

Lunar Eclipse for 12/20/10) 11:15 pm Denver time!

Lets see I am in Minnesota, and Denver is on Mountain Time, and Minnesota is on Central Time, so when it is 11:15 PM (23:15) it would be 01:15 AM (12/21/10). I am normally up at that time, but I doubt if I would witness the Lunar Eclipse as we have another Winter Storm coming into Minnesota about that time to drop another 6 to 9 inches of snow!

Every year the moon orbit increases at a rate of 1 inch per year. If it was not for the moon being in such close orbit to the earth, we would not exist as the earth would not have a stable rotation. In otherwise the the moon acts as a balance mechanism stabilizing the earths daily rotations. Otherwise the earth would roll as it orbits the sun, the earth would not have seasons anymore, all life earth would be hard pressed to adapt to survive. As the years pass, the moon will continue to increase its distance from earth, effecting its rotation/rate around the earth, and we will no longer have solar eclipses. The moon is also acting as a "brake" on the earth's daily rotation, with the high and low tides, slamming into the continents!

Then there is December 23rd 2012 coming up and it maybe the end of time for all of us!

I was a topographic/construction/artillery surveyor in the U.S. Army and I use the stars (and my wrist watch is always set to Greenwich Time) to determine position on the earth's surface using spherical trig, ephemeris tables, spheroid tables, and 12 place logarithms for the calculations.... to determine the latitude and longitude )of the tack that was pounded into the the wooden stake that my theodolite/tripod is placed over) to plus/minus 2 mm error (true azimuth "direction" plus/minus 1 second of angle error for True North.)
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 12-20-2010 at 04:35 AM.
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Blog Entries

Parnelli,

If you look for it at 0115 Central Time, you will be an hour late. Mountain time is GMT-7. Central Time is GMT-6. If you add an hour to 2315, you get 2415, which we know is not possible so the 24 becomes 00. You want to be looking for the eclipse at 0015 hrs Central Time or 0615 GMT.

20 years of amateur radio, N0OAS, has the US Time Zones and their relationship to GMT pretty well locked in. I also did a 10 yr stint with Army MARS.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Would you like to swing on a star
    carry moonbeams home in a jar
    and be better off than you are
    or would you rather be a ........

Bing Crosby was one of us. It's early and I hope I can make it to the eclipse, but here's a pic at 6:00 pm Denver time.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

It's officially winter........

Fly Tying season is open!
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Bass_Bug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hairwing View Post
    It's officially winter........Fly Tying season is open!
    WHAT??? I've been tying out of season since March???? Oh wait! There's no closed fishing season in Ohio, so that means there's either no Tying season or there's no closed tying season. I'll opt for the no closed tying season since I tie year round.

Normand Guest

no "tying season" for me. i tie all year long

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
    A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, a time to reap that which is planted;
    A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
    A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
    A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
    A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
    A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
    A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
    A time to tie flies and throw your old boots away.
    Last edited by hairwing; 12-21-2010 at 10:30 PM. Reason: sp.

+ Reply to Thread