+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Striper and other large gamefish, Fresh and Saltwater!

Default Striper and other large gamefish, Fresh and Saltwater!

Ok, I just purchased a new Orvis Mach IV reel and TFO 9' 9 weight rod for light saltwater and local big Striper fishing in the Arkansas river and local streams that Striper run in spring and summer. My question is regarding the line to use. I'm so used to using a WF-F line for Trout that I'm not sure of what works best for Striper and Light Saltwater species. Do I need a Sinking, Floating, or other type of flyline? What Sink rate if a sinking and so on. Just some advice from somebody that does Striper fishing would be nice. Thanks and I appreciate any information.

OFG,
    Here in the Ca. delta, where the water may be a bit more turbid generally than the east coast guys usually encounter, we do a lot of blind casting. To get the flies down, where they generally need to be, and to pull them fast enough generally to ellicit strikes, we use different density shooting heads, Lead Core (or like density) being generally most useful. Of course an "I" line or floater when top-water or near surface occasions arise.
    The same gear seems quite adequate when I fish the American and the Sacramento rivers nearby.
    "Water-pushing" bugs seem to help in turbid water. The "Embellished Lefty's Deceiver" at FOTW is one that does the job well for us. [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/leesoares/013.jpg:0c336]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/leesoares/013.jpg[/url:0c336] [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/leesoares/Lisastriptoo020.jpg:0c336]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/leesoares/Lisastriptoo020.jpg[/url:0c336]
    Due to your limited experience (only full lines), your preferrence may lean greatly to one of the "integrated" head lines that are so popular today. They are available in addequate densities and are much more user friendly, though not as versitle as a head system.
    ....lee s.
    PS - Like your post at WW. Makes us jones for a trip to see some friends in Muskogee.

[This message has been edited by lee s (edited 07 March 2006).]

[This message has been edited by lee s (edited 07 March 2006).]

OklaFlyGuy, Which TFO did you get Pro,TiCr,TiCRX and how do you like it?

I got the Ticr. I don't lke a super fast rod and the X is faster.

I've owned the Pro series in light weights and have loved them. Great performance for the money. I haven't owned anything bigger than a 6 weight so this is all new to me. I went with the TiCr because of the value, 3 stripping guides, it felt right and the warranty. I hope I made a good choice. I'm matching it to a new Orvis Mach IV reel. I cast one that had a WF-F line on it so I'm not sure how I will like the feel once I load it with new line. I'm just trying to decide on what I need so I can use it down in the gulf for Saltwater species and here in Oklahoma on Striper.

I fish for stripers in saltwater in the Northeast. I use Saltwater-taper lines in both floating and intermediate types. The intermediate lines are useful because they help to get your fly down near the bottom when necessary and also because a line that is not floating on the surface is less affected by wave action.

I have a freind that fished with a guy from his company in Tulsa. There are some very big stripers in the river there from what I here. I hope you do very well this year. Let me know how that rod performs cause I'm saving for one now.

Blog Entries

I use a TFO(pro) 4pc. 9'9wt. for stripers on the chesapeake. I like the action on the rod and have no problems getting long distance casts out with weighted flys. As for line choices ,I am using Rio density compensated 26ft.sink tip 350gr. for the most part. I carry a spare rod and reel also, using a floating line for surface feeders.

Hey,
    I'll be in Tulsa for most of the month of April, and am eager to go chase striper, too. Send me an email with your info, and I'll give you a call when I get there. We can find some time and go catch some.
    -ray

OFG, line choice depend on what type water you plan on fishing. Here in the Mid-Atlantic WF intermediates are the most common for saltwater surf work, from jetties you see more sinking lines used, and in the back waters more floating.

The most cost efficient way to go is with a shooting line system with a fly line type shooting line and 3 or 4 heads (a floater, an intermediate, a type 1 or 3 sink head, and a dredger type 6-7 head) that way you are always ready for what level in the water column the fish are feeding. This is a lot cheaper than extra spools and various type fly lines plus with the use of a shooting basket and some practice distance will greatly improve as well.

Just my suggestions for you.......I have played this game a good while

+ Reply to Thread