+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dubbing brushes?

Question dubbing brushes?

I was reading the secret santa thread about the gifts everyone was receiving and was curious about the dubbing twister Ol' blue got. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/a...0&d=1292365991 I looked them up online and even watched a you tube video or two about how to use them. They seem like a good way to twist up alot of dubbing very quickly.

My question is do you twist them up and keep them until you get ready to tie a fly needing that particular kind of dubbing, or do you use them as you go? If they'll keep I can see the advantage, but if they unravel unless tied to a hook and used immediately then I can't see much advantage. Seems to me they would unravel unless used quickly, but I'm not sure. Am I over thinking this, or am I missing something?

thanks in advance,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Yep...over thinking and missing.....You are missing the fact that they are twisted wire and will not unravel.

I simply twist them up as I'm watching TV and keep them on hand.....but then I like ice dub so do most of them with that.

I knew I was missing something! thanks ducksterman, if I had any sense I wouldn't have bothered you. Sorry

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Buy one and see. Something to do over winter. I usually make brushes for a specific pattern, but then make way more than needed, so they get stored like everything else. One of my first attempts, but the head of this fly is spun craft fur. Lots of possibilities. Nick Granato's Chubby Muffin:

Jason,

Most people make them up with the ultra fine wire which can be purchased in different colors and once the wire is twisted together with the material twisted up in it, they will stay twisted and not unravel plus the wire will give the fly some weight. If you want to make some up with tying thread and store them you can. Here is what I do: I try to make mine about 6 inches long because I can usually get about 2 flies out of each one. I take a piece of cardboard about 8 inches wide and cut some slits along both edges. Once the thread twisted dubbing brush is made, you can remove it from the block, making sure to hold onto both ends to keep it from coming apart, and then slip the one end into a slit and the other end in the slit on the opposite side. This will hold them taut, keep them from coming apart and you can store the cardboard in a drawer or just leave it lying on your tying table.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Jim Leisenring used to do exactly as WarrenP describes, only with 3 X 5 cards. He, and I, make them from waxed silk thread and various furs. Once twisted up and stored on the cards, the wax stiffens nicely so the "dubbing brushes" don't come apart so easily. Very nice to have a way to make a perfectly tapered body right at hand when needed.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

+ Reply to Thread