+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone living in Alaska?

Default Anyone living in Alaska?

If you are, where? I am in Ketchikan, just curious what Alaska folks are out there.

See ya

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

Anchorage just moved here in November

Soldotna resident for 30+ years.

4. Default

Fairbanks, going on three years now.

Kind of a resident.......Ketchikan, Craig, Klawock, Port St. Nick, Hollis, Clark Bay, Staney Creek, Harris River and many other points on the Island. But my residency is for only a week at the time for the last 7 years......sigh......the rest of the time I spend counting down the months, weeks and days until I land back on Gravinna Island and floatplane it over to Prince of Wales for the best fishing ever each September. I work at the hatchery while there with John B and crew and stay at the Haydus' Lodge with my Bro-in-law and his biz partners and practically live in my Orvis waders during that week. Only 7 months to go!

PS- Ketchikan is a blast to hang out in. We always hit Tongass for our licenses and Annabelles or other local eatery for a bite. I run over to Creek Street and hang out at the Coho Soho gallery and pick up some Ray Troll tees (i musthave a dozen or more and he signs them for me when he's in the store) and generally play tourist while there unless there are cruise ships docked then we avoid town like the plague-been there done that. Met a whole bunch of friendly locals up there and have only recently convinced my wife to have us buy a lot and cabin on the island. So I'm real estate shopping. Seems the cabin Iiked best was 4 bedroom, two story, 1.5 acres on the water down Port St Nick road a few miles- only 350K! a bargain

Maybe I'll be a permanent resident in about 5 years.

------------------
    I fish, therefore I swam.

[This message has been edited by featherchucker (edited 06 March 2006).]

Chugiak for 28 years...originally from Red Bluff and Los Banos, California.

I have a question for you SE Alaska folks. I have been considering taking a vacation and staying a week or two in one of the isolated Forest Service cabins. I am not really into the Salmon or Steelhead and I hate fishing with eggs. My question is, do most of the little creeks and streams have healthy populations of resident trout that will readily come to dry flys? I love the idea of being isolated in the middle of a huge wild area but I really dont want to spend a week swinging flys or watching an indicator. Thanks.

------------------
    Born to fish forced to work.
    Alan

I've lived in the Anchorage/Eagle River area for 20 years.
    I've loved this place since the day I arrived courtesy of the US Air Force.

Reading these posts is getting me excited. I'm flying over to the Iliamna area for a weeks fishing in August, from Scotland. Can't wait to connect with the silvers and hear the rainbows are something else.
    Am I going to see the aurora borealis in August ?
    There's something special about a bit of luxury in the last wilderness on earth!!!
    Oh, I've a day to kill in Anchorage before and after my fly out to the lodge, what can I do? Is there a good tackle shop?

------------------
    The older I become, the more I think like a fish................six second memory.

Ilived four years in SE Alaska in the late sixties. I was a supervisor for the US Forest Service South Tongas National Forest our of Ketchikan. Two years in Petersburg (little Norway) living on the floating barge "Wanigan" (Haida for kitchen storage box) at the end of the extra long cannery dock. I miss the laundry mat up by the docks, lots of good conversation with the fishing folk. Ketchikan was wide open in the late sixties, Tongas avenue was a string of bars side by side from Creek Street all the way to the north mooring basin. I use to frequent the "Yukon Club" right on the wooden dock where the Princess Pat use to tie up. I went back with my wife on a cruise ship in 96, the Yukon Club is now a dainty strawberry shortcake bistro with little red and white table cloths and frilly window curtains. Time sure does change things. Most of all I miss the dollies behind the Mary Francis up Creek St. and the salmon fishing up by Valner Point. Enjoy the place in your time, I sure did. Jonezee

------------------
    I learn more about the world while talking to myself when fishing alone

+ Reply to Thread