+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to identify

Default Trying to identify

One of my employees gave me a bamboo fly rod about 6 years ago. It belonged to his father who had passed away sometime before. I have looked for anything that might identify the rod and cannot find anything other than maybe something to do with the wraps. The rod has three different tips with it. Is there any way for me to find out anything about this rod. The gentleman who owned the rod lived in Maine I believe most of his life.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Steve

I would take the rod to a good fly shop. With no markings on it it's going to be tuff, but a good fly shop might have books with pictures showing the hardware such as the reel seat wich might give them and you a clue to what make it is. Thread wraps aren't really a good indicator, they could be replaced. Honestly you might not find out much, the rod could be a hand made by someone, if this is the case you won't find out much. Good luck,Dave

------------------
    Tying and Flying is the only way to fish!

Thanks. I really didn't have my hopes to high. Would there be a way to determine approx. wt?
    Steve

rookie,

Many people more experienced with bamboo than I so take this for what it's worth: Try the rod with a 6 weight line and go from there. If too stiff and not enough load, go lighter. If the contrary is true, go heavier.

dragonfly1's suggestion as far as trying to identify it.

Good luck.

Allan

Can do. Camera is at work. I do appreciate the help. I know this rod is old and will probably need a soft touch but I think it's fishable. I know nothing about them so I will be looking for advice along those lines as well

thanks again everyone
    Steve

Some of the older rods had two tips with one being a heavier. Like one for a 4 wt and the other a 5wt. You said it had 3, are they all the same size? Just curious.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

They are 3 different lengths. Approximately 6" incraments. Longest tip makes a 9' rod.
    Steve

Cool, try to get some pictures. I want to see this. Would you want to ever sell?

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

Rookie, as you take pictures, try to get some of the reel seat, the grip the winding check and the ferrules, those are the most usual giveaways on identifying older boo rods. That thing about 3 tips, each different in length is a another thought provoker as well. Try to get a good shot of the tips if you could, side by side! I am sure the identification is only a few pictures away.

Leo

[This message has been edited by dleo6446 (edited 06 March 2006).]

Things are sounding good. I probably would be interested in selling.

I will take as many detail photos as possible. My photography is probably like my fishing. Sure glad I don't do it for a living.
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread