+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Big Fork, Montana near Kalispell

Default Big Fork, Montana near Kalispell

I have a place to stay for free in Bigfork Mt. anytime I wish to visit this spring/summer. Any advice on which streams to fish during a five day stay and best times would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Bill D

[This message has been edited by Bill Dorgeloh (edited 02 March 2006).]

late june early july.
    Flathead river.
    when you get to town call lakestream flyshop or stumptown angler in Whitefish and snappys sport center in Kalispell they can fill you in on whats biting where.

good luck,Randy.
    We all know the area code for heaven is 406

Bill,

Depending on runoff, Swan River, especially above Swan Lake may be worth a look, since you're right there. As noted, forks and mainstem of the Flathead can produce. You're also only about 2 hour drive from Blackfeet Reservation on the east side of the Rockies - lakes hold some huge trout and it's not that crowded. Getting to some of the lakes can be problematic (can you say gumbo mud) and the wind is something that has to be experienced. You're also only 2 hours from Missoula, which brings Clark Fork, Rock Creek, Bitterroot and Blackfoot rivers into play, or just about the same distance to the Kootenai. You got good recommendations on local flyshops, also contact Two Rivers Gear in Bigfork 406-837-3474. Do check out the Bigfork Playhouse, it's worth it.

Regards,
    ScottP
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Check with Bob at Arends Fly Shop in Columbia
    Falls, I haven't fished over that way yet, I keep mainly on the Blackfeet Reservation.

Bob will know that area very well.

Wild cutthroat in the Flathead. You can also make the drive to the Clark Fork. The fish are bigger but I don't think it is as picturesque. Apparenlty there are some great small streams that feed into the Flathead as it comes out of Glacier. Can't confirm this or name any.

There are 2 good shops in Whitefish - Stumptown Anglers and another a few doors down. Can't recall the name.

Guide of choice is Rich Birdsell of Northern Rockies Outfitters.

Bill, I'd suggest the second or third week of July. Arend's is a good fly shop as was suggested but I'll tell you that most Kalispell fly fishermen are more likely to fish on the Blackfeet Indian Rez than the rivers and streams on their side of the divide.

That said here are a couple of spots that would be worth your time if you have it. First would be a drive in to the Spotted Bear river. It's a good 2 hours from Big Fork most of which is on dirt roads but the drive and the area are special. While there you could also check out the S. Fork of the Flathead. Cutts abound and are very catchable on attractor dries. Occasionally you'll even catch a 14"er or so.

Second would be heading south down the Swan/Seeley road to Cold Lakes. It's an easy hike up to the first lake and the second lake is only another 1/2 mile or so, though there is a lot of log hopping to get there. Both lakes are very fishable for numerous 8-14" cutts. e:mail me if you want more specifics.

reuben_office@yahoo.com

Take care

You lucky devil! I have visited Bigfork twice and fished the Swan River, once in late June and once in August. Both times I had a great day with a few very large rainbows. In August the river was really, really low as many parts were 2 to 6" deep so you have to look for holes. A couple holes I found had rainbows that broke my tippet three times in a row. Be careful not to stress the fish out too much as the water temps are higher due to low water levels. In June I couln't get 20 ft. out from the banks due to high water so using big flies like Madam X or Sopha Pillows under the overhanging trees produced some really big fish. I would suggest finding out when the Salmonfly hatch occurs there and that's when I would go. There are also a pretty good amount of Bull Trout,I've been told, although I never caught one.Definately take a day trip to fish the South Fork of the Flathead at the northern edge of The Bob Marshall Wilderness for nice cutthroats. While fishing the area be aware that both areas can hold Grizzleys and Mountain Lions. I've seen the tracks.

I live right here in Bigfork, just give me a call when you get here, or email.
    406 837 3210
    ------------------
    Jim Johnson

[This message has been edited by Doublehauler (edited 06 March 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread