+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: fly tying book

Like Normand, I also apologize if I upset anyone when I defended the value of The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference. I find this book to be the "bible" for fly tiers.

I think the responses to this "thread" have all been good and everyone answered with the answer that they thought the poster wanted, but, until the poster responds, we will not know. When I read the post I decided not to recommend any "one" book because there are just too many out there and they all have their place and they all are good. Another reason I did not respond with a recommended pattern book was because I have a habit of checking the Profile of the requester to see if I can determine just what the requester may be looking for and when I checked this poster's Profile, it led me to believe that the requester does not tie flies and was just looking for what patterns would be good to purchase for their particular area that they fish. His/her Profile states:

Biography - like to fly fish and deer hunt
    Interest - fly fishing and hunting
    Years fly fishing - 4

After viewing the Profile and re-reading the question, I chose to not make a book recommendation and just "ride" along with this post to see if I could learn something for myself. I just wanted to defend the "benchside reference" book and nothing more.

I consider every member of this great site to be my "friend" and do not want to upset anyone. John Scott and I have PM'd each other and we both understand what we were trying to do and I feel we are still good "friends", even though we have never met, and I hope that Normand and I are still "freinds" even though we have never met either.

I agree with everyone's answer to this poster's question and I hope I have not upset anyone. I have not "picked" a "side" with this post. I just defended a good tying book and nothing more....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Normand Guest

I did not apologizing for my initial choice of books and never will.

I apologized only for assuming the original poster is/was a newbie fly tyer.

warrenp,

i appreciate your defense (and all of the other folks who did) of the book

NYfisherman.

You may as well use some of the worms to fish with from the can you appear to have opened up...

Unknown.jpeg Popcorn anyone,
    lol
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 12-04-2010 at 04:18 PM.
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

This Al Gore invention - the internet - has a wealth of information for the fly tyer. Yes I have books, including the benchside reference. Most of my books were gifts for Christmas or my birthday. You can find many recipes and the how to do it on the internet. You can also find many videos - they usually will walk you thru all the steps of tying a fly. As you can tell by the answers above, there are many good books out there. I am giving you an alternative. There is nothing wrong with having your own library....but a lot of information is free. This gives you more money to buy supplies. You NEVER have enough tying material.

the readed for me asking the kids asked me what i wented for christmas and i got the (the fly tier`s benchside reference ) so i would like a patterns book and i thinking of (tying flies with cdc )

Normand Guest

dont forgot this one

Last edited by Normand; 12-04-2010 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nyfisherman View Post
    the readed for me asking the kids asked me what i wented for christmas and i got the (the fly tier`s benchside reference ) so i would like a patterns book and i thinking of (tying flies with cdc )

That is a good one!
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Print out Al Campbells Fly Tying Program right here on FAOL and reference all the Fly of the Weeks and spend the money on buying materials. But I really like my benchside reference.

Fatman

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eagle Elk View Post
    Karli-Rae,

I did completely forget about that book. Probably because I haven't added it to my library as yet. Thanks for the reminder.

REE

PS. Just so I don't forget again, I just ordered the book. Thanks again Karli-Rae.
    No problem! I hope that there will be a 2nd edition someday, and that a fly or two of mine will be in it!
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

For rank beginners I'm surprised no one mentioned Helen Shaw's book. Oldie but goodie
    Sweets

+ Reply to Thread