+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lathe wood insert clamping idea

Default Lathe wood insert clamping idea

My lathe operation for inserts is very functional and a little different than what I see others doing on the forum. If a person wishes to spend lees than a chuck clamping system this works great and is centered.
    I have started using a bottle mandrel threaded on to the lathe chuck.
    I predrill my wood blanks to either .375 or .3125. Then the blank is put onto a all thread rod of that diameter. I hold the blank in place with threaded nylon 1.00" x .375" or .3125 "nuts" that I make. Then I use a .375 to .375 threaded adaptor or .375 to .3125 threaded nylon 1.00 adaptor to thread to the mandrel. This way the all thread is now "attached" to the lathe. I use a free floating drill chuck on the other end.

Guess it's time to show my ignorance . . . ? ? Bottle Mandrel ? ?

Sorry,
    Bottle stopper lathe chuck which comes in different thread sizes to thread onto the head stock.
    http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PK-BS1-MJ.html

I turn all my reel seat inserts with a method called "TBC" or Turning Between Centers using a Dead Center in the Head Stock and a Live Center in the Tail stock of my lathe.

While I normally use l bushing to turn between centers for my inserts mostly an alternative to the bottle stopper is I also use is a modified Shoulder Bolt which are used in punch and die operations.

Attachment 6876

This one is 3/8" x 5" long and has a 5/16" x 18 thread on the end. Cut the head off the bolt and you have a 3/8" bearing surface for the insert and when used with a Mt2 3/8" Collet you have a very accurate method of turning.

Attachment 6877

Don't know if I'm the only one, but these "attachments" always come up with an "invalid" message. Anybody know the cure?

Blog Entries

I bore mine on the lathe to .375 or whatever is needed. Then turn on a pen mandrel using homemade bushings.

These are an example. I generally use Delrin bushings that have a steeper angle to them to reduce splitting in the tenon.

Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Fellow named Andy Dear used to sell a set of steel mandrels specifically designed for rod building.

You select the size that fits the inside diameter you need, chuck it into the three or four jaw chuck on your lathe. It's centered and you don't need bushings. You do need the head stock chuck and the ability to predrill your blanks.

He even sold a DVD with instructions and some tips on lathe use efficiency for rod builders.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Bass_Bug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    Don't know if I'm the only one, but these "attachments" always come up with an "invalid" message. Anybody know the cure?
    Probably the best way to avoid this is to upload your pics up on a server somewhere like PhotoBucket and then insert the link to the pic in the thread. As long as you leave them on the hosted server they will always work.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    Fellow named Andy Dear used to sell a set of steel mandrels specifically designed for rod building.

You select the size that fits the inside diameter you need, chuck it into the three or four jaw chuck on your lathe. It's centered and you don't need bushings. You do need the head stock chuck and the ability to predrill your blanks.

He even sold a DVD with instructions and some tips on lathe use efficiency for rod builders.

Buddy
    You can buy a verity of turning mandrels for both cork, and handle & insert turning from Lynn @ backlash tools

+ Reply to Thread