+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fluorocarbon tippet materials

Eric,

Looked at the link you provided. Thanks. Berkley Trilene Fluoro : 4 LB test - Diameter = .007 = 4X. Not good. (for me), RIO 4X mono = 6.4 LBS, Seaguar 4X Fluoro = 7.0 LBS. Much better choices. (for me). Incorporating this Trilene 4X material into a 5 or 6X leader with a greater breaking strength would cause your leader to break back at the 4X section. As you know, when building leaders, ideally, you like the leader to be able to turn over the fly, so the first thing I look at is the diameter of the material and the stiffness. Then I consider the breaking strength of the weakest link. All things being relatively even, you would expect your leader to break at the fly, not half way up the leader. Basically, what I am getting at is that this Berkley stuff is too weak per its diameter. If I've missed something here, please let me know. I may be assuming too much! Won't be the first/last time I'm sure! LOL!!!!

Best regards, Dave S.
    Last edited by fishdog54; 11-25-2010 at 11:14 PM. Reason: misspelled Trylene!

nighthawk Guest

Dave,
    Try the Stren products. You will get much better results from them. IMHO regardless of the manufacturer the spools of tippet material I used to buy is way overpriced.

Jim Slattery Guest

A couple things you have to consider with the Flouro tippet. First some manufactuers list the knot breaking stregnth such as Climax and the new 98 tippet while other manufactuers list sheer strength. Secondly not all 3X,4X .....mic out the same. Sometimes tippet that has a high pound rating are a little thicker than those that have a lower rating.
    I love the Seaguar tippet but have found that the Rio gets more takes while fishing in the upper zone and surface, for whatever reason. I'm a believer of using heavy tippet. I use 3X 95% of the time and more often than not go to 2X or 1X than going smaller. But to put this into context the Madison is now my homewater. It is a pretty "heavy" water and hook a fat 18 inch or larger trout you run a good chance of a break off with anything less than 3X. That being said I still use 3X on the creeks or smaller rivers as well. The fish don't seem to mind and I can bring them in fairly quick without having to stress them too much. I get more takes on 3X flouro than 3X mono. Very unscientific, it's just what I have found works for me.
    Hope this helps,
    Jim

Jim,

I carry Rio (mono) for 3,4,5 & 6X tippets. Enrico Puglisi (mono) in 6,7, & 8X tippet material. I seldom use anything larger than 3X, even on #2 streamers. We're talking trout fishing. The only thing I've HAD to use 1X/0X on are #12 dry fly spider patterns that consist of hackle an inch or more in diameter when wrapped around the hook. Any thing less and these spiders will twist your leader into a birds nest that only the Ospreys would admire! LOL!!! BTW, when I fish these spiders, the fly and the leader are greased, so you can skitter these big fluff balls across the surface. Very effective! Currently I build 7 to 9ft. tapered leaders for streamer fishing, but am considering using level leaders of 3X fluorocarbon. Just not sure if tapered leaders are necessary for streamers. I do like that fluoro is supposed to be more abrasion resistant. As you pointed out Jim, not all .008 (3X) material is actually .008, which can mess with your leader formula. Instead of looking like a tapered bull whip, it will look like a Python that swallowed a pig!(a little dramatic, but you get the picture!) I have to ask: What do you do when the fish are sipping on stuff that is #24 to #32? My answer is 6,7,8 or 9X. This is the stuff that works for me in the type of fishing I encounter. As a wise man/women? once said - YMMV...

Best regards, Dave S.

Jim Slattery Guest

Hi Dave,
    I get more than a few "your kidding" looks when I recommend or say that I use 3x tippet. I also get a lot of "I should have listened to you about the 3x tippet" when they loose the pig of the season. On the other hand I also hear "Broke the _____ 3x like it was nothing" a few times too. LOL
    For smaller flies as a rule of thumb: as big a tippet I can get through the eye, usually 4X or 5X . Obviously there is a point of diminishing return or uselessness with tiny flies. As a general rule,with the fishing encountered on the Madison, I don't see much small stuff and I can't really imagine landing even a 16 inch trout on 7X or 8X. Not to say that it can't be done or hasn't been done it just seems pointless when you consider the well being of the trout, unless of course you are going to harvest it.
    Again, very unscientific, it's just what I have found works for me.
    Jim

Blog Entries

Jim,

I am with you on that, those Montana trout can really grow big and fight well. I tend to use more 3X than anything else on Montana rivers, sometimes down to 4X and sometimes up to 2X. If I am nymphing, same weight flourocarbon tippet to the first nymph then I drop one size for the dropper nymph.

On pocket waters in small streams I use 5X and sometimes 6X, but then I am going for smaller trout.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I use mono unless I am nymphing or I am fishing to very spooky trout. The reason is that if I break off mono, it will disintegrate over the years due to UV and weathering. Fluoro does not and will be around for literally hundreds of years. Plus mono is much cheaper.

Fluoro is an advantage when fishing to spooky fish with dries. A floating mono tippet has a different index of refraction than the water. It also depresses the meniscus slightly. This cause specular reflection and refraction. These bright spots can be seen as the fish look up at the floating mono and they can also be seen on the bottom of the stream in slow moving waters. With sunken fluoro tippet this does not occur.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

jgrossing,

I need to ask a question after reading all the replies to your question, so please don't think I am hijacking your thread.

Question to everyone, after reading everyone opinions I am still confused, do you use fluorocarbon tippet material for dry fly & wet fly fishing???
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Quote Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
    jgrossing,

I need to ask a question after reading all the replies to your question, so please don't think I am hijacking your thread.

Question to everyone, after reading everyone opinions I am still confused, do you use fluorocarbon tippet material for dry fly & wet fly fishing???
    Yes. That being said, because flouro seems to be a bit stiffer, I usually use some sort of loop knot to the fly when fishing flouro, thus allowing the fly more natural movement.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread