+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We should be least likely fly purchasers - but is it true

Blog Entries

Default We should be least likely fly purchasers - but is it true

Presumably everyone here is a fly tier. My guess is, however, that most of us still purchase flies on occasion. Speaking for myself, I purchase for 4 reasons:
    When I travel great distance (and great cost), I will pay the high prices at destination shops because:
    1. I want a few of the local patterns in case nothing I have works;
    2. I want some of their patterns to replicate;
    3. I haven't brought a particular pattern which I find out is working there; or
    4. I see some "neat looking fly" I want to try

Anyone else become a fly buyer like me????

As an example, this summer I was in Last Chance where Mike Lawson's shop is and where Rene Harrop sells his flies. Hard to pass up a few flies tied by Rene!! For me at least.....
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 11-30-2010 at 03:09 AM.

Not me. I have too much vested in fly tying material to buy a fly anywhere. Havent bought a fly in over20 years, and I kinda like it that way.

I believe there are quite a few members of FAOL that do not tie. On several occasions I have either sold or gave away flies and they were snapped right up.
    Tim

I never buy flies any more. I just bring my travel vise and fly tying bag along loaded with hooks and materials. I make up what I feel will work and also tye up what I see going on. Never had problems yet up in the Catskills, New Hampshire, PA and NJ. I tye all year round so I do not spend all my time trying to fill up fly boxes in the winter.

My purchases are rare and getting rarer, but when it does happen, it's either one of those reasons stated above or "5) Because it's on clearance for way cheaper than I can tie it myself."
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Cold Guest

Only way I'd purchase a fly is because of the tyer. For example, a Carrie Stevens tied Gray Ghost, a Bergman Wet Fly...etc.

And then it'd never get wet.

I buy when I go into a shop and get some information from them. If I don't buy a fly or two then I buy something else, usually about $20.00 worth of something I may use.

I agree with the first 4 and the 5th but only for the really little ones. While up on the Yak this year I exchanged a few of my ties with one of the local guides and some information. Visited the two shop up there and heard there used to be three. Kinda like here in Bend, there used to be five but now only two and a big box store. I believe it is good to support your local fly shop by purchasing materials and to support the others while out of town. You may not need to buy thirty flies or a new rod. One to five (specific for the river) for some information is pretty good from one of the shops. At the other I purchased a hat and exchanged some flies with this great guide Derik up there and ended up with a half day float on some unwadeable water and landed some monsters. Got some great patterns to duplicate while some good info about the river while supporting the local shops. Not a bad deal if you ask me. Plus big props out to Z for hookin me up while up there too.

Normand Guest

i buy flies that interest me, so i'll buy them for tying samples

Good question.

Yes, I buy some standards I don't want to bother tying, like Elk Hair Caddis, Woolly Buggers
    and Pheasant tail nymphs. That gives me more time to spend experimenting with odd-ball
    inventions and special purpose flies.

+ Reply to Thread