+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legs on Loop Wing Emergers-HOW?

Default Legs on Loop Wing Emergers-HOW?

I'm tying some loop wing emergers for Blue Quills, Hendricksons, etc. My buddy suggests I put legs on them. What's the best way to do that?

Normand Guest

just like this

http://wildernessangler.blogspot.com...g-emerger.html

or

once you bring the loop forward, separate some fibers of the loop material and tie them on each side for legs

or

dub the thorax with some hares ear with guard hairs
    Last edited by Normand; 11-28-2010 at 04:49 PM.

Default Another approach ...

... which has worked very well for me, is to use a few wraps of dry fly hackle at the thorax area before pulling the CDC over to form the loop wing. Finish the fly by trimming the hackle thorax style. The hackle is a fair representation of legs and adds to the floatation of the fly.

Here is a Mahogany emerger tied on a Partridge Klinkhammer style hook using CDL, for the tailing / shuck, and CDC for the loop wing, with a dubbed body and grizzly hackle, that did very well for me during that hatch on the Rock Creek this October.

Also took some nice fish with that fly on the lower Bitterroot River on some pretty difficult water about the same time. Had a couple big guys break off and a couple others take long distance releases. But this little guy was cooperative, if not the prettiest fish in the system.

John
    Last edited by JohnScott; 11-28-2010 at 05:27 PM.
    The fish are always right.

Hey John. That's a really nice emerger tie. I like the buggy look. So you just trim the hackle flush with the hook?

Thanks, Norm.

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Hey John. That's a really nice emerger tie. I like the buggy look. So you just trim the hackle flush with the hook?
    Thanks. Yes, or cut an inverted "V" in the hackle along the bottom of the hook shank for a little more floatation.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Thanks. Yes, or cut an inverted "V" in the hackle along the bottom of the hook shank for a little more floatation.
    John,

You think that fly would work for the March Brown hatch in the spring? I'm going to start tying up some Skwalas, olives and March Browns and that looks like a good one.

Regards,
    Scott

Default Won't be long ...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    ...You think that fly would work for the March Brown hatch in the spring? ... Scott
    Scott -

I think the basic concept will work just fine for a March Brown emerger / cripple, adjusting for size and color if necessary.

There was one run on the Bitterroot, about ten miles from home, where there were good numbers of sizable trouts up on and taking the Mahoganies for at least a couple hours almost every afternoon, at least on the days that I fished there. I hadn't fished that hatch down in Idaho so I had to do some research to come up with a pattern. The Mahoganies typically come off the water very quickly, so it seemed that a cripple / emerger pattern, with the emphasis on cripple, would likely do better than a dun pattern.

When I said difficult water, I meant very clear and pretty soft water, and the fly had to be just about dead center in a fish's feeding lane. A lot of the fish refused the fly after taking a very close look at it, but enough ate it to keep me pretty well satisfied with the pattern.

John

John,

Think I'll try some with a biot body, too. Thanks for the info and the pics.

Regards,
    Scott

Lastchance......check out the link for the LTD. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://home.comcast.net/~rlonghunter...9603e69ccf1673

And yes, you can alter the pattern to match most any mayfly hatch very effectively.

LTD Group.jpg

+ Reply to Thread