+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly Tying Desk

Default Fly Tying Desk

I have been looking for a fly tying desk plans for about 6 months now and my search has turned up nothing. I need something that will hold all of my supplies (not alot) and have an area where i can set up my vise. If anybody has plans for a desk that I could use, could you please send it to me. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

-Drew

I have used a TV stand before. I have a Stanley rolling tool box for all my supplies. I travel allot and this makes it easy. Even has a slide out compartment for hooks and beads.
    Then like I said, a TV stand will work as for the tying.

Blog Entries

Drew as we dont know the area that you need to put your desk into, or if it needs to be portable etc it is hard to give ideas, I use an cheep computer desk from walmart and plastic shoe tubs, I store the tubs in a bigger plastic tub. it works for me. I have a couple of boards that I stuck some dowell and drilled some holes into to make a thread/bobbin holder this works for me and as I have been tieing in the basement storage room it didnt mater what it looked like. If you dont like FG's Idea you might look at small roll top desks or desks with a fold up front that the front folds down to write/tie on

Eric

somthing like this would be ideal for me

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-9552811...4_2131_6184148

If I had the room I would want this

http://www.vermontfurnituremakers.co..._after_ss2.jpg
    Last edited by Eric-WD; 11-21-2010 at 02:42 PM.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Drew;
    Joni's idea is very good. The "Stanley" style tool boxes have been around for awhile, even starting to show up a yard sales and they hold a lot of "Stuff". I have a small folding "Snack/TV" table that I made a larger top for to hold more "Stuff" when tying. Good thing I have a good vacuum!

Love to see that stand Jack

My first fly tying desk was just a table with rollers that I got from the used furniture store - I was able to move it from place to place easily and not have to put everything away. And now my fly tying desk is only a bigger table, with the plastic chests all around it. But those wooden creations are beautiful.

Default Easy to move around

I can take this anywhere, set it on a picnic table, tailgate, table at home, vice clamps to the door, one inch pine, wifey made it for me years and years ago. Can even sit on it to this day it's so sturdy. And that's sayin' sumthin' !

Cheers,
    MontanaMooseAttachment 6515Attachment 6514Attachment 6513Attachment 6512Attachment 6511

Normand Guest

i have plans to make this one. a drawer below would be a simple addition

i can email you the plans

There's a nice looking one on e-***.

Whatever flat surface this is parked next to instantly becomes a fly tying desk.
    IMGP6583.jpgIMGP6582.jpg
    I have a small tying desk that I found on sale at Cabela's a couple years ago. It's little more than a fold-down letter writing desk, but with the bag beside it to keep my stuff organized, It's more than big enough and fits in the corner of the living room behind the easy chair which makes my wife happy, too.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

+ Reply to Thread