+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Myakka Minnows

Default Myakka Minnows

Haven't tried these yet, but I'm confident they will produce. They may have to wait until next Spring to get tested.
    Steve Gibson likes to cut his marabou tails somewhat short and thick. I've left most of mine a bit long for now, and can trim them in the field if necessary.
    I tied a variety of colors, since I had 5 shades of the Diamond Braid. Wish they sold the gold locally!

Black Pearl

Olive

Pearl

Chartreuse

Silver

I used Clear Cure Goo, the thin version, instead of epoxy. It made tying these go fairly quick!
    Last edited by FishnDave; 11-15-2010 at 04:38 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Fly of the Week? Please?
    Hugs,
    LF

You are in luck! Steve Gibson had already given us one.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...122908fotw.php

Of course you can make these any size/any color you wish...I see Steve did his tutorial with a size 14 hook. WOW! I think I might have hooks that small....?
    I did mine on #8 streamer hooks. He had a good reason for making his small, as he was trying to match the fry/pin minnows that were less than 1" long. His tutorial says he ties them bigger for saltwater species, though. I might have to try some tiny ones, just for kicks.
    Last edited by FishnDave; 11-15-2010 at 07:03 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

You'll be surprised at how big of bluegills you will catch on small minnow imitations like this!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

There is also a "Warm Water" article by Steve Gibson on fishing the Myakka Minnow.... ~Parnelli

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...r/ww022508.php

Duh, thank you gentlemen!
    Hugs,
    LF

Dave,

If it's legal where you fish, a 'brace' of three or four of those little Myakka's will catch a lot of fish. I've taken trout, bass, bluegills, crappie, and channel cats on them. Usually tied on a size 12 or 14 2XL hook.

Fished under an indicator in the colder months they are amazing smallmouth flies.

And, if you can't find the gold diamond braid locally, try either the local craft shop or the sewing store. I tie all my gold ones with the braided gold cord they use for the plastic canvas stuff, and I've seen a similar product sold by the yard at the local JoAnne's fabrics....

Good Luck!

Buddy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I really like the looks of this fly and have a question for those of you that tie and use them. Do they ride hook-up or hook-down when fished?
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Good suggestions, Buddy. I do have gold mylar tubing, which might work. I was concerned that even if I tie it fairly flat, it might trap too much air under the epoxy, that it wouldn't sink very well? Only one way to know for sure...

For the smaller sizes, I suppose I could wrap gold Flashabou or Krystal Flash for the body, too.
    Another option for the body would be to use those fabric glues that I bought so many colors of a couple years ago! The only downside of that is they take longer to dry.

Good question, Warren. I don't know the answer yet, but I would assume if the body is reasonably symmetrical around the hook shank, it would ride hook-point down.
    I wonder if you could make them ride hook-point-up by using a bit more epoxy (or substitute) on the appropriate side of the hook shank?
    Last edited by FishnDave; 11-17-2010 at 01:57 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Why not just tie em with bead chain if you want them to ride hook point up?
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

+ Reply to Thread