+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fun With Canvas

Blog Entries

Default Fun With Canvas

So today I sat down with the sewing machine and finally made up some rod cases for my boo's. Using the only Rod soc i owned at the time I sat down and laid out some od-green army grade tent canvas and cut three blanks and began to sew them / the first one i made i made for my Montague Split switch rod. Baitcast/Fly combo. the second was for my Montague 3p2t unknown wt rod. and the third was for the boo i built with the help of Bugman. The looking at the scraps I decided to make a cpl reel cases. what do you think. hehe.

I think they look great Char...i can't tell from the pix, but is that canvas almost heavy duty? I ask because i went searching for canvas so wifey could sew up some rod socks for some of my vintage stuff. The goal was to find something that closely matched the early Leonard socks but we couldn't find anything like the original. Wifey can sew them up from just about anything but the old...sorta stiff but not too stiff...canvas ones are easier to load the rod sections in. Like the reel bags too. Is that a little Martin i see there on the left?

Thanks for your service btw,

MontanaMoose

Blog Entries

thank you and your welcome. and yes that is heavy duty tent canvas used by the army for years I used to have a roll of it and only have so much left after two years and decided to use it as rod socks. lol and yes that's a lil martin i have.

Ok, well it might not work with a non-commercial machine anyway. Wifey wouldn't try anything heavy enough to match the original feel i was going for.

Thanx,

MontanaMoose

Hi Charlaine,

Cool, and I can't think of a better way to use up the last bit of that canvas that you had.

Regards,

Gandolf

MM,

If you visit Army surplus stores, look for used shelter halves. Those bits of lightweight canvas that we used to make a shared pup tent with. They usually sell for about a $1.50 each and the center section would make a couple of nice rod socks and still be handled by a home style sewing machine.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

I still use my shelter halves camping lol. their great and you know i never thought of using them for rod socks but round here there 10 bucks a half.

I thought of that REE, as a Boy Scout that's what we used when we went to Camporee and our annual trip to the Sierras. None available close to me for any price but now that you've reminded me i'll be on the lookout for them, so thanks !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

off subject.....in my basic when it came time for the hike and camp duty it was pouring down rain. After marching half the night in pouring down rain, the fellow they paired me with....in the dark, in the rain...had a snap type half pup tent half and mine was a grommet.......

+ Reply to Thread