+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZ Mud Snail & Cleaning Waders shoes- Ideas?

Default NZ Mud Snail & Cleaning Waders shoes- Ideas?

First we (Colorado) had Whirling Disease, now this Snail. I will mix up a batch of 50/50 409 cleaner to keep in the car but wonder if there are other rivers having similar problems? What do you think about the 409? I don't want to spray 409 on my neoprenes, and I switch locations more than once a day, so freezing isn't good. And heating above 150 degrees I wouldn't think is good for waders.

What do you think??

From: [url=http://www.greatwesternflyfishing.com:000ba]www.greatwesternflyfishing.com[/url:000ba]
    "Please, if you're visiting our river or have fished in another watershed in Colorado, PLEASE clean your wading shoes in a 50/50 mix of 409 and water or freeze them over night before getting in the river. We are trying to protect the river from the New Zealand Mud Snail. This animal has the potential of creating an ecological disaster far worse than Whirling Disease ever could have been. We appreciate your cooperation to save our river."

When I worked at the state trout hatchery, every time you went in or out of a building you were required to step into a bucket of Lysol
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

copper oxide. Unfortunately this is also lethal to fish to rinse thoroughly and make sure the rinse water goes into sewage rather than stormwater. Anything with copper in it will knock off the snails. Even a snail remover from a live fish shop may do it.

Chris

Thanks for that link. It is the best info I've seen and the only one that talks about the impact on wading boots and waders.

Email this guy....he is QUITE involved with the "snail problem". <cutter@flyline.com> [url=http://www.flyline.com/:17e4d]http://www.flyline.com/[/url:17e4d]
    .....lee s.

[This message has been edited by lee s (edited 23 February 2006).]

[This message has been edited by lee s (edited 23 February 2006).]

I was introduced to a boot dip at Flat Creek in Jackson Wyo. Ever since then, I bring along a 10% solution of bleach in a 5 gal bucket and do my own dip when entering and exiting a new stream. The only negative thing I've noticed is that my car floormats are getting lighter.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

NZMS, that has also been found in MT in the Madison River drainage and in Yellowstone (unless I am having a brain cramp right now).

As for doing my part to prevent this problem...well in the Spring and Fall the only place I fish is the Lower Madison. Last year I went from May 1st until July without using my waders so if something can survive that long out of water then its a lot hardier than believed. As an afterthought it is frequently a week between fishing for me in the summer which is the only time where there is any chance I can pick up these aquatic hithchikers and transport them to other waters.

This year will be different because I got a float tube and will be in different waters within short periods of time. I am interested to see what people recommend for treating their waders so I can do my part. Backcountry wading could be a problem and my pack is way overloaded aas it is, so lightweight and easy suggestions would be appreciated.

Hmmmm I work in a freezer at -15, maybe I can take my waders into work after every trip and hope that prevents these pests from moving around. Of course this doesnt help me if I want to fish different waters within the same weekend.

------------------
    Take care everyone and cya around. Mark

[This message has been edited by MarkKillam (edited 23 February 2006).]
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

bobin4trout:

Keep in mind that you must use "409 Disinfectant" in a 50/50 solution here and NOT just plain Formula 409. You typically have to go to a hardware store (or office supply stores because it is considered a janitorial product) to find the right stuff. You cannot just spray on 409 Disinfectant. You have to soak the boots, waders, etc. for a period of time. I use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid.

For more details take a look at the NCCFFF's efforts in testing prevention methods: [url=http://www.nccfff.org/conservation/conservation.html:cd116]http://www.nccfff.org/conservation/conservation.html[/url:cd116]

Unfortunately, as long as fly fishers insist on wading in infected waters, NZMS will only spread.

[This message has been edited by whatfly (edited 24 February 2006).]

"I was introduced to a boot dip at Flat Creek in Jackson Wyo. Ever since then, I bring along a 10% solution of bleach in a 5 gal bucket and do my own dip when entering and exiting a new stream. The only negative thing I've noticed is that my car floormats are getting lighter.
    Mark"

This sounds like a more practical solution. I don't think many people are going to make a big production of disinfecting waders, like buying special products or prolonged application or soaking. Just my opinion. The 10% bleach option is one I can easily do.

------------------
    ?The good? in Islam is something to be compelled, on others as well as on yourself. Whereas, in Christianity, ?the good? is something received through Grace.

Bobin4trout:

Unfortunately, that is exactly why the NZMS are spreading -- because no one want to do what it takes to prevent it from happening.

Note: The 10% bleach solution is for Whirling disease. It is INEFFECTIVE against NZMS. The snails tend to gather in the soles and laces of your boots, as well as on your waders. So to be thorough you must clean both or you are just spreading them to the next water you fish.

At the moment there are only two scientifically proven methods of cleaning your gear -- that is without melting your waders and boots altogether. Of course, you could just abstain from fishing in NZMS infested waters and then this is not an issue.

Problem is no one appears to be taking the proper measures and the disinformation concerning cleaning methods is creating a false sense of security. This is what brought the snails to CA, and undoubtely it is the same attitude that will eventually see them everywhere else in the none too distant future.

Pretty much our only hope is that they are not as destructive as many have predicted.

------------------
    -whatfly

[This message has been edited by whatfly (edited 27 February 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread