+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wind River Mountains Fishing - 2010

Yeah. I thought about going smaller, but I need to pre-tie those size 24-32 flies on tippet so that I can drop them off a fly I can see. <---- Raiding the coffee area for coffee stirrers now to hold my clinch knots!

Thanks for the idea whoever mentioned in that other post!!

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Default Labor Day Camping Trip

For the second year in a row I went camping into the mountains over the Labor Day weekend. This year I took my trusty companion...

For Saturday, we took the boat out and had some luck with standard tackle, but I was unable to entice any fish with my fly rod. Then my boat motor decided to start acting up, and I couldn't get it started the rest of the weekend. So unfortunately, we were out of the boat by noon that morning as the wind was picking up above and beyond what the trolling motor can safely handle.

Later that evening, we did some shore fishing and managed to catch another 3 fish using standard tackle. The fish in the lake just love the wind!!

On Sunday, with the boat out of the commission, I decided to hike into the back country and fish around the Roaring Fork Creek area.

Here is a picture of the lake...

Additionally, since my wife hasn't been able to make this hike yet, I took a picture of the Cirque towers off in the distance.

From there, the dog and I made progress along the creek to find some fishing. Earlier this year there were reports of excellent grayling fishing at the lake. I didn't try the lake, as it just was so windy out in the open.

Eventually during our hike and fishing a few riffles, we came across this massive log jam.

From the pool in front of this jam, I pulled out a couple of brookies.

Eventually we continued on downstream until we made our way to my honey hole from last year. The creek treated it well... Several fish can be seen in this photo of the hole.

This hole has a unique situation that requires you to be sitting down to effectively cast in it. You can use roll casts or side arm casts, but that's it. Trees are all around. Any time the sun was covered the fish would readily move into the feeding lanes. When it came out, some of them would go into the rocks.

This first guy I caught, was actually caught while I was still pulling line out of the fly rod. I dipped it into a slack area over a deeper area thinking that no fish would approach it. Welll, I was wrong! Next thing I know I pulled out this little guy.

I continued to fish the hole, pulling out one fish after another, just working my way through them. Eventually I hooked this little guy who decided that my fly looked like a caddis moth surfacing and jumped clean out of the water to snag my fly.

Certainly not the biggest guy out there, but certainly one of my most memorable takes.

Overall for the day, roughly 10 fish brought to hand during my hike. Over the entire weekend about 20 fish brought to hand, and a half dozen LDR's.

Best of all, I found that our dog, Clouie handles the boat well, and loves to hike with me into the countryside. I'm sure she spooked a few fish as she snagged a drink in the water or approached the shoreline. (She gets very curious about rise forms from the fish).

The trip was a great weekend.

Cya,
    Paul

Thanks branhap, another great report. So that's why they call it the winds. Like the pix...can never get enough of looking at brookies.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Default North Popo Agie River

Today I decided it was time to catch a brown trout, since I have never caught one before, so I hit up the North Popo Agie River which has a healthy population of Browns.

I got on the water around 11am or so, and started working my way on the stream. I saw quite a few fish, they were very spooky in the crystal clear water. as soon as I could see the water they seemed to be spooked. I found that it was best to be about 30 feet or so downstream from where I intended to fish and cast upstream. This way they didn't seem to get as spooky. Unlike some other areas the fish would give you only one shot at the fly. If they didn't like it, or missed the strike they normally wouldn't come back for seconds. I believe this is the case, because the only public access area for this stream is close to Lander and thus the area receives a lot of fishing presure.

Fished a nice foam hopper that seemed to attract the most attention. After a couple of mis strikes and one LDR, I managed to land my first brown trout.

I contined moving upstream and found a nice deep hole with a wonderful seam in it. On my second cast, I hooked into a large Cutt that was at least 20 inches from what I saw. Unfortunately the fight was brief and he got away. The spot is marked, and I'll return for this guy soon though!! Shortly there after, I managed to catch this brown as well.

I contiued moving along the stream until I reached the end of the access area. I hooked into a couple more fish including one while I was snacking on a protein bar and my fly laying in what I thought was unproductive water! Heh. However the browns were good at their acrobatics and each time they would get away when they got a good high jump on me.

It was fun and nice to hit yet another new area for me. This stream does have some big fish in it, and hopefully some day I can can get on the stream on a cloudy day or in th evening.

Until next time, tight lines all.

Paul

Well the fall weather here has been unbelieveable. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get out on the rivers to enjoy it as my weekends have been busy. Well this weekend, I finally decided to go out. However my plans were almost scuttled as my wife has come down with a cold and called in sick to her work today.

After having several conversations with her, i made sure it was ok for me to head out and go fishing. To make it more agreeable, we agreed that I needed to fish somewhere that I still had cell phone coverage. So I hit up the North Popo Agie river again. The brown trout spawn is on, and the fish were not nearly as popular as the last time I hit this stream. I was treated with a beautiful brown working his way up a run through, with a full body out of water jump. Was a site to see the big guy.

It was significantly cooler today (about 10 degrees) and mostly cloudy. I worked my way upstream again this time around. Around noon or so, a BWO hatch started coming off. And by 12:15 fish were rising. I had my fly from the August swap, an Elk Hair Caddis with antron underwing and micro tube ribbing in chartreuse on with a BWO trailing it. Oddly enough, this brown below hit the Elk Hair Caddis and not the BWO. Go figure!! After I hooked him, I quickly got him to the reel, and brought him into net. Before netting him, he managed to make 3 runs on me, which was quite fun. He had good shoulders on him.

After a couple of pictures to admire him, he was released back into the river to fight another day. This was the only fish to find my flies today. There were more in a few spots, but I just had trouble getting the right presentation to them. Not sure how many more opportunities I'll have to get outside this year, but hopefully at least one more!

Tight lines,
    Paul

Nice report branhap and i'm glad you are still able to get out with this great fall weather...it's like that here too and i've got to go a couple of times in the
    past wk.

One fish...well, i learned a long time ago that sometimes 'the one' fish is plenty.

Luck,

MontanaMoose

Amost enjoyable read branhap!

I managed to take advantage of this weather one last time. Last Monday I had to work the early morning, so I had some comp time waiting for me. My wife was out of town, so I headed back to the North Popo to do some more brown trout hunting.

There was a small hatch of tiny may flies, but the fish didn't seem interested in anything. And for whatever reason, Even my most delicate fly presentations would put the fish down. So no fish were caught. I had one solid hit while nymphing but didn't get the hook set. Was bringing my rod up to place my next cast, and felt a solid pull on the line. Unfortunately my brain didn't register very quickly that it was a fish on the end of the line. My 2nd time nymphing all year long.

Overall, I really hope we get snow soon!

Paul

Glad you got a chance to get out one last time for the season branhap....sometimes the trout will take right away when they see the fly begin what seems like a hatching ascent. Lots of nymphers do that on purpose towards the end of the drift.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread