+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allen Reels

Default Allen Reels

Does anyone have any experience with Allen Fly Fishing especially their reels. Alpha or Trout model reels recommendations?

http://www.allenflyfishing.com

The Trout line sort of replaces their XL line of reels. I have several of the XL reels, and really like them. Nice solid reels, look good, the drags seem to work great, no problems whatsoever. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the main difference in the Trout line from the XL is better cosmetics, and also a slightly wider spool for increased backing capacity. Certainly the Trout reel is a good-looking reel!

The Alpha line is supposed to be the flagship model. The latest plans I heard is they were going to revamp that series to alter the look of the reel a bit, and also lighten up the weight on it.

They have really been putting some considerable time and effort into getting the reels pinned down based on users comments and suggestions. The drag may not be a fancy conical something-or-other, but its a rock-solid performer. Also, VERY easy to change from LH to RH retrieve and back.

For the price, its a no-brainer. Personally, I like the looks of the XL and Trout line over the old Alpha line. Haven't seen the new Alphas yet, though. The cosmetics are just a matter of personal taste anyway.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

The new Alpha is now available...unfortunately the only picture available is a drawing...introductory pricing is very tempting...from your review it seems well worth it.
    I'm on their mailing list but really don't know anything about them.

Edit: Just relooked....it looks like the new alpha has similarity to the trout now.
    Last edited by ducksterman; 11-08-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Normand Guest

Darn, their server isn't responding, Norman

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    ducksterman, here is AllenFlyfishing website http://www.allenflyfishing.com/alpha_new.htm and Justin email address if you have any question
    allenflyfishing@yahoo.com
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

thanks popper...I've been there and pretty sure I'm going to order but if Norman's link is for the newest alpha I'd like to see it before doing so....also found quite a bit of discussion on other sites....most good

Norman was it an actual photo of the newest reel?
    Last edited by ducksterman; 11-08-2010 at 10:12 PM.

thanks popper...I've been there and pretty sure I'm going to order but if Norman's link is for the newest alpha I'd like to see it before doing so....also found quite a bit of discussion on other sites....most good

Norman was it an actual photo of the newest reel?
    ducksterman, go to the link I posted and there is a picture of the new reel, Norman link shows one but not sure if that is the actual picture because that looks like the trout series I purchased.

Both links are working!!!
    Last edited by popperfly; 11-08-2010 at 10:30 PM.
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

I was going to order a reel and a couple of extra spools, but the price difference between the two was so close I just ordered three reels. They performed well this summer, and I have no complaints.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Normand Guest

there is only so many things i can control and unfortunately getting their server to function for you is not one of them!!

+ Reply to Thread