+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else cast backwards?

Quote Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post
    Quite often. I often fish narrow streams, where the only way to cast is either sidearm or at an angle (halfway between overhead and sidearm), so as to keep my fly over the water and out of the brush. Usually, it's much easier to cast backwards than it is to try to cross the stream so that I can turn my body.
    I do the same for the reason above

Blog Entries

Silver, that was one of the most clear and helpful ways I have ever seen something explained in writing. Well done! And thank you for putting in the time and effort to make sure the finer details, such as orientation and hand position, were made clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    I do it a bit differently. I am a right handed caster. To pantomime what I do, grab a pencil or pen in your right hand and hold it like you would your rod handle. Do what I describe. You are now facing your computer screen.

I place my body so that it is parallel to rather than facing my target. So imagine that your left side is toward the bushes. Your right side then is toward the water and where you what the fly delivered.

Turn your head to the left toward the "bushes" and make a cross body forward cast to your left. When you make this cast, the pen/pencil (rod handle) and the palm of your casting hand is toward you and you can see your fingernails. you have just made a forward cast into the slot between the bushes.

Now turn your head to your right and spot your target area on the water. After the rod stop on the cast to the left, rotate your rod hand so that your palm faces away from you. Now make another forward cross body cast to your right.

By placing your body parallel to the casting plane and rotating your hand between what would normally be a forward and backcast, you can make TWO FORWARD cross body casts.

You accuracy will improve because you deliver both casts with a forward casting motion AND you do not need to rotate you body between cast to see the target zone on the backcast delivery.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

I also cast backwards when the situation calls for it. Who care what other people think if they see me? I sure don't and I'm sure the fish don't care either!

Actually learned the technique from Lefty Kreh. I first used it when I had my back to trees and, just like you, cast into a hole in the foliage and then backcast to the target. I have since adapted the technique to kayak fishing when I need to make a quick cast to by backhand side. I also use it when wind direction requires. I can now get quite a bit of power and accuracy using a backcast, particularly when sitting in a kayak, because you can make a strong haul on the line as you start your backcast to the target.
    Last edited by dunfly; 11-06-2010 at 11:33 PM.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

The other thing you can do is false cast up and down stream and at the last moment, re-direct your cast across the stream. I have been able to cast fairly far using the re-direct method.

Best Regards, Dave S.

I'm just wondering why I never thought of such a simple approach to that problem. So my answer is, I will now.

Quote Originally Posted by shorthaul View Post
    Yep---When casting from a boat, I use it when I have right shoulder wind (casting right handed) and put the backcast downwind so it doesnt end up over the boat or on me.
    Definitely from a boat; when we've fished down at Harker's Island, fish can pop up anywhere and if the wind is blowing from a bad angle, or your casting to some breaking fish at 2 o'clock and suddenly a baitfish ball explodes at 8 o'clock, you don't always have time to turn around. You just let what would normally be a backcast become your real cast. It works pretty well, or at least gets the job done as often as not.

Regards,
    Scott

Have you seen my screen name?

Blog Entries

I was complaining about not being able to get my fly way out on the Lochsa river in Idaho because of the bushes behind me. James Castwell showed me how to make a steeple cast ( I think thats what he called it). You make your back cast go almost straight up with very little angle behind you and then when it starts to come down you shoot it forward. You have to have really good timing and it takes a lot of practice but it sure works if done correctly. If you flub it you get a pile of line on the ground right beside you and you look like a total Dufus. It only works for about 40 foot casts max , apparently its something to do with physics and line weight and momentum and stuff like that there. Spey casting is another solution to brush behind you.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

This is a little different than what you meant, but funny at the time. Last weekend my buddy wanted to fish for walleyes at a local lake. He was only bringing spinning gear. I brought spinning and fly gear. We got there early in the afternoon...too early for the walleyes to come close to shore. So, we hit a few other fishing spots nearby to kill some time. I often double-haul on both forward casts and backcasts when fishing fly gear. I'll let some line feed out on the back casts. Well... I was using a spinning rod, and had been casting enough to get in a rhythm...but my hand apparently had some fly-rod memory still in it, and as I pulled my spinning rod back to make another cast, I let loose of the line. Mostly, the lure went straight up, and then landed about 5' behind me. It was one of those "I hope nobody saw that" moments. I probably drew attention to myself, because I couldn't help but chuckle out loud.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread