+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Orvis Frequent Flyer Vs. St. Croix Reign?

Default Orvis Frequent Flyer Vs. St. Croix Reign?

Ok,
    I'm looking to get a nice multi piece 4 weight rod. My local Bass Pro Shops has the orvis "Frequent Flyer" on sale pretty cheap, but today I played around with a St. Croix "Reign" at a smaller local shop. I'm used to a St. Croix "Pro Graphite" 4 wt. and I like the slightly slower action of it. Which of the two newer rods I've mentioned would suit my prefferred action the most? I'm looking for something 8'9"~ 9' and the multi piece is because I'd like to be able to keep it in the trunk of my car and also for backpacking into the woods.

...go for the St. Croix Reign...and that from an Orvis addict. The Frequent Flyer is stiff and if you like the slower mod/fast action you'll be happier with the Reign.
    If you like the 7pc., look at the Cabela's Stowaway7, it is mod/fact action and really a well made rod for the same money as the FF'er on sale (actually, I think it's nicer!).

Hi bwagner,
    I have no opinion on the Orvis, but I own four St.Croix rods, and I love them. The new IPC tech. they use makes them lighter and more slim line in the furrle sections. I have them in 2,4,6, and 8 weight. use them for every thing from trout to musky. just wanted to let you know that you wouldn't go wrong with a "CROIX" if you got one. Good luck, Dave

------------------
    Tying and Flying is the only way to fish!

I am familiar with the frequent flyer and it is a med-med/fast action. But, I worked in a store this week that carried the St. Croix and Loomis (by the way that Loomis Streamdance GLX is so beautiful-I want one) and Redington (which has some nice 6 pc) and I have to say that I am so impressed with all three of them.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

bwagner,
    Just a thought for you. Beware of storing a rod in your car. Time was, that the fastest way to destroy a fishing rod was to store it in your vehicle. A car or truck parked in the heat of a summer sun can get so hot on the inside that the heat will actually loosen the resins that hold the rod together. The rod could actually fall apart on you.
    For what it's worth, I like my St. Croix also.

------------------
    Life, is the time He gave you to determine where you want to spend eternity.
    ----------
    Lotech Joe
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

i spoke to a st. croix rep who described the action of the reign as on the fast side of med. fast. he said it is definitely faster than the avid. haven't had a chance to cast either rod, but am looking at the 8' 4 piece avid.

+ Reply to Thread