+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Redfish topwaters

Default Redfish topwaters

Hey fella's sorry for all the questions on reds! I have some of the styrofoam poppers that I just have the hooks in and was wondering a good color to paint them? these are about 2" long and some are 1 1/2" long with #6 and #4 hooks if I recall. This time of the year would I even have any luck with reds or specs on top?

I'm looking forward to wearing my arm out this weekend with the flyrod and the yak, a cold front just went thru a few hours ago so who knows what's going to happen this weekend just hope the winds are light. In advance fella's thanks for helping an Okie figure things out. Later,

Kirk

Not sure about reds on top. Bottom feeders but maybe gold for them?

Yellow/ chartreuse for specks.

Check redchaser.com

I agree, poppers are not so great for reds, although they will hit them at times. Even when they do, you miss a lot of hookups because they have an underslung mouth. They will be great for speckled trout though. They have been know to slam poppers. I would use a variety of colors. Chartruese is always good. Yellow/orange, white/red and blue/white have worked for me at various times. The #4 hooks will work better.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by dunfly View Post
    I agree, poppers are not so great for reds...
    Au contraire.. There is absolutely nothing like having a 12 lb red push your popper on a wake just ahead of his exposed head, as he repeatedly attempts to rise up and come down on top of your popper!! Whoo Hoo!!

I bet you'll "pull it away" from him 8 out of 10 times!!

Bowfin47

PS

I don't think that color is all that important.. What is important is to keep the popper moving... Don't Stop!
    Last edited by bowfin47; 11-01-2010 at 02:02 PM.

I spoke with a guy last night and he told me that as long as I put the popper in the right place they would bust it! he also said I'd jerk it right out of thier mouth a couple dozen times before I hooked up with one I've caught a mess of sandbass and stripers on topwater so I hope I can remember to wait til they acually get the plug! I just left some poppers white and tied in some tinsel tails don't have time to paint them so I'll just hit them with clear and hope they are dry in the AM. Later,

Kirk

Redfish on poppers are great. The key is to strike when you feel this fish, not when you see the strike. My favorite is a fly developed by Capt. Scott Sparrow for reds down in the Laguna Madre called the VIP popper. I've had everything from trout to tarpon strike it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread