+ Reply to Thread

Thread: reel drag systems

Default reel drag systems

OK, OK, I'm going to confess. I don't know the difference between a disk drag, click and pawl, or whatever other ones there are. I thought if I waited long enough, some other dummy would bring this up, but I have waited for about 4 years now. Is there a discussion of this anywhere?

Someone about a year ago gave a great lecture/discussion/narative on the subject. I've been looking for it but can't find it. Somebody out there should remember it and be able to dig it up. I think maybe one of the administrators wrote it.

This site has info on disc and click and pawl reel mechanisms.
    [url=http://flyreels.flyfishingtech.com/:fb167]http://flyreels.flyfishingtech.com/[/url:fb167]

hf,I can't speak volumes but here is my .02

Spring/pawl this drag depends on the very small friction that occurs at the pawl/drag gear interface.If you ever look at the pawl wear marks,they are usually almost microscopic and right at the tip of the pawl.There is not a lot of contact area involved here so the drag(friction)can be minimal.If you add more tension via the spring,the pawl will resist the circular movement of the spool(and integral drag gear) a little more.

disc this drag depends on the variable friction created between a moving disc of material against an unmoving plane of material.I believe not all disc drags are of a flat plane design as some may be more conical in design.If you add more tension to the moving/unmoving interface,you get more tension(friction)which slows the spool.

Drag is not too big a deal,IMHO,if you think you will be catching smaller fish...say 2 lbs and under.Your rod should flex enough to not break off the fish.With that said,we all know your next fish will be a mini submarine and you will be glad you had a disc drag to slow him down.

Just the thoughts of an old fishing guy who should probably just keep his mouth shut.

bd

Think of it this way; The drag on a click and pawl reel is like baseball cards on the spokes of your bicycle and disc drag reel is like the disc brakes on your car, with friction between the two surfaces causing the drag. That being said, click and pawl reels are just fine for the large majority of fresh water fishing, especially since many people do not play the fish to the reel but rather use their hands to apply drag and to land the fish.

Jim Smith

I also find it very helpful if it has an exposed lip so you can palm it.

Confidence in ones equiptment should be the consideration for reel drag choice. If you feel more confident with a drag that will stop a Mack truck....get a disc drag.

I like life on the edge and I have confidence in my ability to catch even big fish with a clicker.

Usually clickers weigh less.

Is there a sweeter sound this side of heaven than a click/pawl CFO?

One thing I like about my disc drag is that it is an one way drag, do it click when pulled out, but when I reel in it is silent and there is no resistance. Can this system be on a clicker reel too?

+ Reply to Thread