+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chain Gang Nymph

This seems like a pretty high-tech fly - has anyone tried it out on the water?

I've tied some damsel nymphs with extended body glass beaded bodies...experience was as Buddy suggested ...not much motion.

Perhaps the weight of the metal beads drops the fly in the water column and causes the undulation as the originator suggests .

I'm always looking for more motion. I checked my bead chains ...the plastic ones I have [on string] are stiff ...the metal ones do have quite a bit of flexibility...[except the ones I dipped in fingernail polish to color].

Nice to see a different variation

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hugefish_80 View Post
    silly question, but how sure are we that the original uses metal bead chain?
    bead chain can always be coated with black powder paint

Nice looking bug. My question would be, How to secure (hold) the bead chain to tie on the biots? What keeps the tail from spinning around in the current? (OK, two questions.) Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I've tied a few now but not fished ...damsel fly nymph though...

The bead chain has quite a bit of motion because of the separate freely moving single wire between each bead...there is a certain undulation to the body...much different than the glass bead bodies I've done before ...also much more motion than furled extended bodies ...and will look more like the natural body than the usual marabou...I think. [.Buddy I think there will be more motion than the ordinary ties and the motion will be aided by the weight]]

Like Uncle Jesse I didn't find attaching the front bead a joy... used super glue on the tie in....I tried flattening the front bead and that helped...didn't try your slot UJ ...just reminded of it today.....have you fished it as planned ...thoughts?...results?

Since I did damsel flies I slipped a cdc puff quill into the last bead ...instead of tying in biots.... and secured with super glue kept off the barbules....don't know about the durability.

Used a green magic marker to color the beads.

It will be interesting to see if the motion of the body proves to be a good trigger. I will be fishing in stillwater ...different in how it performs in moving water me thinks.

Hey UJ....just tried something you might be interested in.

First let me say since it's damsel I'm using a small bead chain....no way slotting it will work....so I removed one shell of the bead ...this leaves the wire with the flanged end in place.....very simple to just wrap around it and the hook shank....there was just enough length and with a larger bead it should be even easier....I did use a drop of super glue.

+ Reply to Thread