+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Goddess...question about your 'doubles' rig...

Default Fly Goddess...question about your 'doubles' rig...

I'm curious about the rig you use...

If you would be so kind, could you go through how you attach the leader to the line step by step? I got a bit confused by the whole folding/looping part (I'm gettting old, have trouble with conceptualizing more and more).

Sounds like somethng that I may be able to use if I can just figure it out.

Thank you,

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

FG,
    While you're at it, how come the two tippets don't just twist up all over each other?

Or does it not matter?

Double and Triple Fly Setup's are done with two tippets attached to the main tapered leader above where the tippet for a single fly setup is attached. The side tippets are larger diameter tippet material so they extend out less than 12-inches from alternating sides (3 fly setup), or to one side (2 fly setup) On a 2 fly setup it can be attached at the tippet, tapered leader connection. The fly on the main tippet is usually heavily weighted while the one or two side flies are not weighted. For the attachment for the side lines, the "Dropper Loop Knot is easy to tie to connect the tippets to!

I use three soft hackle wet flies, when fishing "Tenkara" using the "Dropper Loop Knot", and never have a tangle.

Good video on how to tie the Dropper "Loop Knot":
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/783226...fishing_knots/

~Parnelli

Regardless the testimonials of non tangles, I have always and probably will continue to tie my droppers to the bend of the hook ( not the eye) of the primary fly. I fish only moving waters so the setup I choose lessens ( does not guarantee) potential tangles. I find it hard to fathom that two tippets with flies atttached to the leader at the same point will not tangle in current.

Mark

Steve,

Fly Goddess had a particular set up that she used - one I'd never heard of beforel.

I agree Marco, it "can" tangle. But I have gone days and windy situations and been tangle free. And as I said, rivers or moving waters, I will tie off the bend or the eye or even a small tag.

I will try to explain, but if you need pictures I can do that as well.
    1. I take 6' more or less of (my choice) P-Line fluorocarbon. Usually 6 lb for me as that covers the fish I go after (including the 30+" Trout)
    2. I fold this piece leaving one side about 12" longer. So ex: 3'6" on one side the other 2'6" . Doesn't have to be exact, just one longer than the other.
    3. I put a loop in the bend (double surgeon's loop)
    4. I then do the loop to loop on my fly line.
    5. You do need to slow your cast down a little and remember, I fish full flex, glass and bamboo. Open your casting loop like with bigger flies.
    6. On stillwater in a boat, tube, pontoon, I will cast as far as I comfortably can (60' or so). Then I pull line off reel while kicking back. I usually can see some backing on my Large Arbor.
    Then start stripping in. Reason for this is, the fly is in the water longer where it needs to be. You can also get into some great ZONES even using an Intermediate Line

Now, I will also do this with a DRY on the shorter and a nymph or pupa on the longer, but again, "stillwater"

A river current will cause the flies to spin, I think.

Thank you much!

I think I can put that concept to good use.

I've always tied to the 'bend' when using two flies, but this may give me a way to get to different depths with the same rig.

Thanks again,

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Absolutely Try a heavy leech or nymph on one with a Boobie or foam fly on the other....Wahoo

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Regardless the testimonials of non tangles, I have always and probably will continue to tie my droppers to the bend of the hook ( not the eye) of the primary fly. I fish only moving waters so the setup I choose lessens ( does not guarantee) potential tangles. I find it hard to fathom that two tippets with flies atttached to the leader at the same point will not tangle in current.

Mark
    you can always tie on a dropper fly using stiffer tippet material thus lessening the possibility of tangles.

FG,

So this is a stillwater only technique?

+ Reply to Thread