+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lessons you've learned from equipment lost or broken

Don't forget your light. No matter how big the fish are that are rising, you can't thread a #22 midge in the dark.

Don't forget your bug juice during black fly season. No amount of toughness makes them feel better.

Don't forget your reel. BUT.....IF you do forget your reel...a 9' leader tied to the tip-top, some tippet, and splitshot used to tightline nymph.....will catch alot of fish too:^)

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stratton View Post
    Riding a custom made Harley you designed and built yourself.....................

For some reason the way the air flows thru my boat even if the hat is turned backwards it can and does lift off.
    I'm hoping you got a brain bucket over you cap when driving the two wheeler. And I have had caps sucked off my head in bass boats, but I don't have much up there to increase the friction.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I usually fish with my Father-in-law and a friend. I always drive and came up with a way that any of us can access my suv whenever needed. I had three sets of keys made that will only open the door (they cannot start the vehicle) and each of us gets one. I hide the actual electronic key in the vehicle and we all know where it is. if one of us needs to drive somewhere, no problem. This also prevents the electronic key from getting lost of wet.

As far as busted equipment - I have several TFOs and have busted one, but it was easy to get the portion replaced (since I live in Dallas, i just dropped in on them on my way to work). They don't even ask what happened - just gave me the replacement part.

JR

A couple of fly boxes JAM-PACKED with flies apparently feel out of my fanny pack. I didn't discover this until the next day. I went back and searched the area, but it was a public area, and the boxes were never found.
    Now I try to put my address label and maybe my phone number on the inside of the lid of all my fly boxes. At least then somebody has a legitimate CHANCE of returning them to me if I lose them again.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Years ago, I fished a beach in Rhode Island early one morning and then decided take a break and hit MickyD's for some lunch.
    It wasn't much more than a mile or so out to RT. 1, still I was real surprised to see my rod had made it all that way, riding on the roof of the van, when we pulled into the parking lot.
    Now, the first thing that I do when I walk up to the car is put my rod in full sight on the windshield (not the roof )... even before I start digging for keys
    Never forgot again
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Extra dry clothes in the car

Normand, whether it works or not, I feel better writing my name, adress and phone number on all of my fly boxes, that way they know where to come to rob me of the rest of them...

After several mishaps ending in broken rods, make sure the first thing you stow when returning to the car is your flyrod, no exceptions

Make sure the flies you tied the night before for your big trip are boxed and put in with your equipment - too many times they were still on the magnet on my tying desk

Give the car key to he/she who can't handle the entire day fishing

Don't let the Kid go off on a fishing trip with your set of fins needed for your afternoon outing in the pontoon

Always make more lunch than needed because the friend your Kid invited didn't bring a thing for lunch or drink, let alone any flies

If you want your dark glasses and your camera to be there when you're on the water, put them around your neck before you leave home...or at least before you leave the vehicle after arrival

Check the charge on your camers battery

No, the wind knot in your tippet won't matter much...unless you really did want to land that pig!

Well, that's just a start...

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Someone's comment about fly line reminded me of another, more obscure, "lesson" recently learned. I took a friend to the river not long ago for one of his first outings. After helping him out a little and then separating for awhile, we reconvened later and he shared with me how he'd accidentally cut his fly line when he went to trim his tippet with his combination scissors/forceps. We got a good chuckle out of it and I really didn't think much about it originally. Since then however, I've noticed how many times I find my line laying on or over my scissors/forceps also. Like my buddy, I have mine pinned to a zinger on my vest. I'm right handed, so I long ago figured out that the right side of my vest (closest to my right hand) was the most convenient place to have the scissors. What I didn't notice until recently was that I also have a tendency to put the rod and reel under my right armpit as I clip a fly off and add another. That seems to position any excess line disturbingly well to fall across the open scissors, and while it still seems hard to imagine not seeing your line laying in the crotch of the scissors before you close them, I moved them over to the left side of my vest just to lessen the risk. As my friend discovered, there's little that'll put more of a crimp in your casting, stripping, fighting a fish, etc. than a knot 15 or so feet down from the end of the line!
    Last edited by John_N; 10-20-2010 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    I'm hoping you got a brain bucket over you cap when driving the two wheeler.

Only in those states where wearing one is mandatory. Don't like 'em. Don't like being told I have to wear one.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

+ Reply to Thread