+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newer fly rods

Default Newer fly rods

In reviewing PC websites and the many ads in magazines I am amazed at the number of variations, or brands, of rods available. Accepting that many are manufactured offshore and private branded with only minor cosmetic variation. How can you really tell the difference between fact and bull?

Here is the simple answer.

If you can't tell the difference, there is no difference for you.

How do you know? Trial and Error.

I have tried many rods and some I know I like and others I know I don't. The vast majority are somewhere in the middle which means I don't know right off how I feel about them and often I adjust to them, liking them more as time goes on. Its some science and some hype and appeal. I think one can adjust to most any rod if you are convinced that it is a good rod for you.

jed

I would say, pick the Company that you have heard very good things on and stick with that (Sage, Orvis, Winston, Loomis, T & T, Scott, etc.) I think that you will always find quality there and at least if it isn't they will fix it. Seems as though a lot are going overseas, but, that will be reflected in the price, tapper, and hardware. After all, that is why they are being made overseas, to save money.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

[This message has been edited by Fly Goddess (edited 22 February 2006).]

Well this and other fly fishing websites are a good place to start. Both Jed and FG offer good advice. Especially when it comes to sticking with the known brand manufacturers that FG mentions. I would also add St Croix to that list.

The other thing to keep in mind is that many comnpanies offer differnet rods to meet the demands and pocket books of the anglers that will fish with them.

I don't own any rods that have been manufactured off shore. That is not to say that I wouldn't buy one, if I liked the rod and thought it would meet my needs.

------------------
    Every fly fisherman has an unreasonable view of fly rods, and I am no different. Thomas McGuane from The Longest Silence.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

All good advice.

To get the "right" rod (for YOU), you really have to cast them.

When you "feel" the rod in your hand, ... you'll know if you like it or not.

Then again, ... remember the pocket book. That nice sweet one might also be the most expensive. (can you say bamboo ) ... although it's not always the MOST expensive ones that'll suit your taste/style/application.

I had the luck to find a shop that would let you take outside literally DOZENS of rods, all strung up and a nice 40x150 ft grassy area to test 'em ALL.

I buy ALL my rods there now.

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/015738.html:2b8e6]2006 FishIn Ste-Marguerite River[/url:2b8e6]

[url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:2b8e6]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:2b8e6]
    Christopher Chin

I have found my Fly Logic rods (I have and 8/9 and a 3/4) to feel just right in the hand and to be utterly dependable. THey are domestic products as well. They are not flashy, much like Scott rods, but they are good rods for the money, imho. Looking to buy a 5 wt. down the road.

------------------
    "Give me ambiguity or give me something else"

I hear what you all are saying and agree but having been in the engineering and manufacturing business for half a century what I am really questioning is how many so called "manufacturers" should really be called "Rod finishers". I'm certain that only a few of them actually make their own blanks and there is where the true quality lies. Anyone can overprice a product to finance a terrific warranty.

I am 99.9% sure that the companies I mention make the whooooole thing and with their trademark secrets.

Chris and Ray, your concerns are why I like Global doRbeR so much. They will send you outside with a handful of rods, reels, and lines to try out, and they wrap their own blanks. I've never dealt with a more helpful company.

I have found that if you can ignore manufacturer's line designations you will find a rod that casts better than you ever dreamed at a very reasonable price. There are very affordable rods and blanks out there that merely need the proper line matched with them and they are superb. The development of the fly line has made such remarkable leaps that there are drastic differences in a rods performance with a different line taper and weight. Alec

+ Reply to Thread