+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana

Default Louisiana

Folks I'm down here working in Patterson, La and while I've tried a couple times for reds the only thing I have figured out is that the marsh muck mud is deep! anyone in the area that might like to help an Okie out with some ideas on places to fish off the bank? I'm not wading that marsh anymore! I thought about a small boat but my company flew me here so I just can't see spending the cash when I can't get the boat back home. Any ideas or suggestions would be very appreciated. I checked out some guides and I just can't make myself pay $500 a day when I could get a kayak for that. I'll be here until Nov. 19th I get a week back home the 15th of this month. Later,

Kirk

I would think you could probably find somebody that would rent you a jon boat or a piroque down there. I suspect a piroque is about as close to a kayak is you're going to find. If you are working at a plant of some type I would check with maintenance and/or the security department, they get around and know who has what. I know that's deep Catholic country and I am not sure about getting info there, but the local priest probably knows who has boats they would rent, etc. I would check with the Baptist church also, it will be small but I'll bet you there is one there some where.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I think I am going to drive down my next trip I just like to check out everything between here and there ya know stop and smell the roses per say. I have a good friend back home that had mentioned he might have me hooked up with a small jon boat. I just know this much that marsh mud is deep and I would prefer to not be stuck in it again, got my attention fast for sure. I've been wanting to get a kayak for some time I'm just too cheap I guess to spend the money plus really don't know how it would do fly fishing from it? thanks for the info. Later,

Kirk

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

No problem fly fishing from a kayak. It's done all the time.

I do, however, upload my rod by at least one weight fly line so I don't have to carry quite as much line in the air to load the rod. Plus, I fish in tight quarters (amongst the mangroves) so the less line I have out the better.

You'll get varying opinions on this and you're mileage may also vary.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

Kayaks are very popular here. Talk to the kayak club out of Pack & Paddle in Lafayette.
    Calcasieu Lake (Big Lake) has wadeable areas for big speckled trout and reds. Ask the folks at the Calcasieu Point landing.
    Faubacher Field in Lafayette has a stocked pond.

Coach thank you very much! I'm headed back to Okie land Friday for a week then I'll be back here BUT I'll have the Buster boat in my truck! they have been flying me back and forth but I told them I would drive this time around so I could bring my boat and my tasty adult beverages that I can't find down here I'll have to do a search on that lake as I've not heard about it, mainly I went down around Dulac, Cocodrie and Grand Isle oh yeah Bourge (spelling might be off) and Fourchon which is where I sank to the boys in the marsh. I'll do a search on the club might get some wonderful pointers. Again Thanks! Later,

Kirk

oh my gosh! if youre not finding booze in louisiana (home of the drive through daquiri shop)...i don't know what to say.
    if you're doing the kayak thing you can probably join them on a trip to their hot spots. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lafayettekayakfishing/
    if you haven't found http://laflyfish.com/ you should give it a look.

Yeah kinda like the drive thru's I don't look all girly going in for a strawberry daquiri, zip in get a roady and your gone! park in the back and your golden.

I'll go check the sites out. Nope I like a beer from Kansas called Lunar Ale made by boulevard brewing, I have a liquor store by the place in Okc that gets it for me. Booze in Louisiana? I think it's a state sport down here! go out drinking and hit Wal-Mart yeah good times LOL Later,

Kirk

http://www.bckfc.org/ Alot of these guys have spare boats and would probablly let you tag along. Great group of guys.
    Last edited by ragincajun; 10-19-2010 at 01:44 AM.

also if your in Patterson about an hour hour 1/2 ride is grand isle. Go hit the shoreline for some big specks. Toss Clousers into the surf. Beware the riptide is terrible in the area and several people have lost to it.

+ Reply to Thread