+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm a dang fool!

Default I'm a dang fool!

Ok, the time has come for me to take my next step in this godawful hobby we call fly fishing!

For quite some time I've been kicking around the idea of building a rod. I've seen so many beautiful examples of hand made rods but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't very intimidated by it. Heck, I've even been a little scared to click on the link to bring me into this part of FAOL because I was afraid if I came in here I would probably never get out!! LOL!!

So, having said all of that, how does one get started? Is there a basic rod building kit one can buy, (much like a basic fly tying kit),? Where do you get the various materials, tools, and other doo-dads necessary to feed this compulsion?

I currently own a couple mid-range rods I fish with, (St. Croix and a Reddington), plus a few low end rods that got me started. They are all 2 pc. rods and I really want a 4pc 5wt rod I can keep in the car so I have it on hand on those days when I pass a pond or nice looking ditch and feel like tossing a fly.

So, gentlemen, where do I start?

Normand Guest

take a look at a hook & hackle kit

http://store.hookhack.com/Fly-Rod-Bu...departments/4/

Blog Entries

Also go to http://www.flyanglersonline.com/rodmenu.php

There is tons of help there. The series under 'Graphite Rod Building' is very good. The pinned tips at the topp of this forum are all very helpful, too.

You really do not need a ton of tools to get going. The above series will show you what you need. Others on the board can show you some simple stuff as well.

Hook & Hackle has good kits. J Stockard has some nice kits. I do not recommend anything above economical for a first rod. There will be things you do not like and will want to build another rod to 'get it right."
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

So far, good advice given.

I would plan on a kit at first -- Hook and Hackle is fine. I would also tell you that the first rod build will be a bit of a learning curve -- not difficult but you will have to learn how to wrap guides, use epoxy, etc.

Take your time. Ask for help from members of this board.

Plan on the first rod being less than perfect -- thats ok. I made mistakes on my first build that I didn't make on the second --- but made new mistakes on the second rod, etc.

Read the rod building info by Al Campbell on this web site and also check out a few books.

Overall, it is fun and not difficult.

My first rod was a hook and hackle kit and I believe it came with just about everything I needed. I did buy drying motor but some shops will rent them.

Good luck -- you will probably get into it and be making more than one.

I'll be the contrarian on this one. Don't go with a kit unless you just want to build one rod for the hell of it. If you take the time and choose the components you want and match them up with the blank, you will learn a lot more than just buying a kit. You can print out a checklist from several sources. I think Hook and Hackle has one on their site. Once you get everthing set up to order, call the order in and go over it with the supplier. All the ones I have delt with will keep you from making a major mistake. By foregoing the kit, you will greatly accelerate your learning curve.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

I also did a podcast with Ron Weiss, the owner of Hook and Hackle about rod building. It might be good for you to have a listen to it. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/podc...st20100405.php

You should be able to just click on the link and push play.

I just ordered my first rod. I customized the kit to get exactly what I wanted to build a little 2wt for my brother. They were really, really helpful on the phone.

I hope this helps,

TT.

I would agree that you can customize the kit and you could also order some really nice components to make a top notch rod. Purchasing a nice blank and reel seat and guides will definitely get you a rod with nice components.

My only disagreement is that for a first time build, it might be better to go with a relatively inexpensive kit that you can build while you are learning the process - such as lining up the guides, wrapping the guides, applying epoxy to the guides, gluing up the real seat, etc. -- the components I bought for the second and later builds cost several times more than the entire initial kit.

My first rod was OK but certainly not up to the same fit and finish (i.e. quality/finish contours on the wraps/ etc) of subsequent rods. Therefore, I would still suggest a kit to learn on and plan on going more high end on subsequent builds.

In the end, its your money so do what makes you feel comfortable.

Bass_Bug Guest

Check out Jann's Netcraft http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/rod-building/ and Mudhole http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...plete-Rod-Kits as well for kit choices.

If you're into reading, "Fly Rod Building Made Easy" by Art Scheck is a great book. Covers everything you need to know to get started.
    http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...asy-Art-Scheck

Having taught Middle school age students to build rods (all styles). There is a distinct advantage to buying a kit as opposed to figuring out your own components. At first I tried the "What do you want" and I got "I dunno". So that took that out of the equation. Next I was dealing with a relatively low skill level when it came to experience in constructing things, and I just wanted them to have the experience. What is your experience in building or making things. Do you do woodwork? crafts? metal work? anything? The more experience you have the better your first rod will come out. Another thing is are you a perfectionist or a That will do? You need to think about those things before ordering. If you are looking to get into building rods as a hobby or see if you like it, and you don't have a lot of making experience I would go with a kit. If you have experience, know what you want in the way of components and are a perfectionist go with figuring out just what you want from scratch and jump in with both feet. Another good book also is Tom Kirkman's rod building book. Covers all types of rod building and is good basic starter for any kind of rod building.

+ Reply to Thread