+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling question

1. Default Traveling question

I heard through the grapevine that the TSA is about to (or already has) expanded the list of items you can carry on a plane when traveling. Does anyone have any information about this? I sure would love the peace of mind of being able to carry on my essential fishing gear. Traveling in May to the Bahamas and would love to get this clarified for me. Thanks!

2. Default

TTT

Acuna,
    The TSA has passed that you can now carry SMALL scissors and nail clippers ON YOUR PERSON. You can carry anything NON-EXPLOSIVE in your checked baggage. So if you've got knives or something, put them in your checked baggage. I would check with the guide service to see what restrictions the local government has on what visitors can bring into the country.

Has anyone heard if it is now possible to carry one 2pc rods in a case?

Call your airline is the best bet. I would not take fly tying equip on the plane. I wouldn't push it, the rods should be enough.

Good luck on your trip

The Geezer

------------------
    Excus my spelling and gramma, I hooked Mondays and Fridays so I could Hunt or fish.
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

I just called the TSA people because i am flying to Idaho in May. I was told I could carry my fly rod in the tube as carry-on bagage. My rod is in a 30" fly tube so they said that would not be a problem. Somehow I just don't trust this. I am going to the air port and ask the questions of the air lines. I did see where Delta has a bagage size limit for check bags. 62" = length + Width+ height....It figures the bag that will hold my waders and rods is total 68". That would cost me another $100 fee to take. But I can carry two bags in the 62" catagory. Hmmm lets see...my bag is total 68" vs two 62" bags. Doesn't make much sense huh? Oh well that air lines for you. Its best to check with your local air lines, get names of people you talked to and also call the other point of departure to be sure their requirements are the same as the place you are leaving from. Hope all that made sense.

Jim

Oh don't take any hooks with you as carry-on. Those are dangerious. I can see me hijacking a plane with a size 14 nymph hook. LOL Funny, you can take a 3 piece rod on the plane. I would think the rod could be used as more of a weapon than tiny hooks. Just my $0.02

[This message has been edited by jim635 (edited 06 February 2006).]

I personally find there is little common sense involved with the baggage and carry on restrictions. Last time I flew my wife had her shoes checked because they were sneakers, I didn't because they were slip on loafers!

I couldn't bring a nail clippers on board but the passenger ahead of me was carring a 48" long pizza paddle made of hardwood, my wife was allowed to keep her 14" long metal knitting needles. Imagine your in a bar fight, you need to defend your self. You have a choice of the above three 'weapons' which would you grab?

I think the focus is more on public relations and making us 'feel' safe than actually making things secure. Prehaps it's just too hard to change the existing buisness culture. How is it that most gas stations, movie theaters and convenience stores have a secure enclosure around the cash register while the airlines still say that a secure cockpit area is technically unfeasable or too expensive?

Spoke with a TSA agent last week at the Palm Beach Airport.
    Rods, no problem
    Reels, no problem
    Flies, if they aren't tied on gaff sized hooks, no problem.

I have tested the rods with 4 or 5 pc rods and never had an issue. I tend to pack everything else.

jed

Guys here is the latest from TSA. This is the list which we use at the local airport at which I am a TSA agent. [url=http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_Facts.doc:581cf]http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_Facts.doc[/url:581cf]

For additional Info just go to the TSA web site and click on the travel link.

------------------
    Michael (Wooly) Woolum
    State Certified Hunter Education Instructor
    Hickory, MS

[This message has been edited by Wooly (edited 07 February 2006).]

Timely topic as I'm headed to Cabo San Lucas in a couple weeks.

Thanks for the list, Wooly. I don't see anything close to a fishing rod mentioned in the list, but I see that pool cues would not be allowed. Guess I'll have to call the airline to be sure that I can bring a 9.5', 2 piece rod on the plane...or not. Since it's a popular fishing destination one would assume it's okay.

Bill

+ Reply to Thread