+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How helpfull is weight forward really?

Default How helpfull is weight forward really?

I've been flyfishing for 3 years now (baitcasting for 20 before that) and I'm doing pretty good with my casting. what I'm wondering is how helpfull is weight forward line after you've been casting for a few years? Do you really need it?

When casting a fly rod, you're really casting the line, not the fly. While double taper line works fine, many/most folks opt for weight forward line. If you want to see what it would be like to cast a non-tapered line, unspool your current weight forward line and put it on the spool backwards. That is, attach the forward end of the line to the backing and spool it up. Now, try casting your rod and see if weight forward makes any difference when you're trying to reach out 50-60 feet. I think you'll find that weight forward line was invented and is used for a reason.

Good luck.

Jim Smith

A WF line is not a crutch for beginning casters. It is a valuable tool for casters of all ablities. It is designed with a purpose, and it does things a level line can not.

Blog Entries

Depends very much on the kind of flies you're casting and the kind of fishing you're doing.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

Both Weight Forward, and Double Taper have the same weight for the 1st 30 feet of line (Excluding the taper at the Front End).

Weight Forward line then reduces in size and weight for the remaining 60 feet of line.

Double taper has the same diameter and weight, for the full length of the 90 feet of line (Excluding the taper at Both Ends). So the total weight of the Double Taper line will be heavier than the same weight line as a Weight Forward.

If you are only casting 30 feet of line through the air, your rod will respond identically, using either the Weight Forward or the Double Taper Line.

If you are casting the line through the air further than 30 feet, then the Weight Forward is the better line. Reason is then additional line will not overload the rod with too much weightin motion (Kinitic Energy), slowing the casting action of the fly rod.

Where Double Taper is the better choice if you wish to Roll Cast further than 30 feet, because using the Roll Cast, you are not lifting all the line off the water, and the same weight line, will cause the Roll Cast to transfer the energy of the cast through the line, better than if you were using a Weight Forward Line.

If you are Roll Casting less than 30 feet of line, then both the Weight Forward or Double Taper line, will cast identically.

~Parnelli

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 24 February 2006).]

James Smith's "test" will NOT give you good results as the "small" end of a WF line does NOT have the weight of the "business" end. Hence you cannot properly load the rod. The proper wt level line WILL cast fine, though generally not as long. Level lines serve us quite well for "target shooting" LM's in ponds tossing big bushy bugs.
    The "smaller" running portion of a WF line is beneficial to achieve distance. However, your skill may determine how much benefit. There are casters who can huck 60+' with a DT or a L line....plenty long usually.
    .....lee s.

[This message has been edited by lee s (edited 24 February 2006).]

Jargo....Why do you ask?
    Are you using something other than WF now?
    A level or double taper?
    I would not consider a level line, matter of fact I'm not sure levels are made any longer.
    A DT and WF should cast about the same out to 30'. Beyond that distance (past the head)the WF gets smaller in what is called the running line part of the WF and the advantages of the WF are as JC discribed.

The front taper allows for the enegy of the cast to disipate making for a more delicate landing on the water. Level lines do not have a front taper or any taper but the front taper on WF and DT are about the same depending on what the line was designed for.

Bruce Richards wrote a good article about DT vs. WF. Here's the title:

"Double Taper vs Weight Forward Fly Lines
    Which Is Really Better?"

It's in the "Flyfishing 101" section under Flyfishing Basics"

JC, are you talking shooting or carrying more line in the air than 30ft in a WF?

Hey Jargo,

Almost a half century ago when I took up
    fly fishing as a boy, our local hardware
    store did double duty as the "fly shop".
    They maintained a stock of at least two fly
    rods, two fly reels, some #6 level line,
    and two cards of poppers, one for bream and
    one for bass. That was it. The expertise
    to get into this great sport came from the
    clerk, who may or may not have ever cast a
    fly in his life.*G* It was a lot simpler
    then, due to a lack of gear and information.
    I fished this and similar gear for well over
    a decade before learning of weight forward
    lines. Did they make a difference? You
    betcha! But the biggest influence in my
    fly fishing came when I bought my first
    computer and discovered FAOL. Who would
    have thought that fly fishing could have so
    many nuances to it and that there could be
    so much specialized gear to fit your niche
    in fly fishing.*G* Fly fishers are still a
    pretty scarce commodity in these parts, but
    the selection of gear is here now, at least