+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elkhorn Bamboo 4wgt Report

Default Elkhorn Bamboo 4wgt Report

While visiting the Bellevue show and watching a good friend tie his incredible flies I wandered over to the Elkhorn Rod booth. There was a nice little 4 wgt "Boo rod that seemed to be calling my name. I've never cast a cane rod, nor have I ever really wanted to own one. After a little time on the casting pool with it, my wife said if I wanted a Bamboo rod, then I deserved it, so I decided I'd take it home with me.

It's a 7'6" two piece 4wgt with the Elkhorn MA-1 reel, lined with a Cortland Sylk line. The test casting at the pool was okay, but I really wanted to try one on the river.

We finally got some time and hit the Little D last Monday. It was pretty chilly with a good breeze. I was starting to regret bringing a 4 wgt because of the wind. Once I adjusted my casting stroke I was punching out 30 to 40 foot casts into the wind with no problem. This rod isn't as slow as I thought bamboo would be. The rod dampens quickly and shoots line very nicely. Very light in the hand (but then, it is a 4 wgt), smooth casting and a delight to look at. The other flyfishers we passed gave it an admiring look or two also.

As a first time Bamboo owner, I really like this set up. It is going to be my go-to rod for small streams, that I know already. Unfortunately, it has given me the "Boo bug, bad. JeremyH told me that Bamboo rods are like Lay's potato chips, you can't have just one.

REE

Got out today with my 4wt. boo (Orvis) and had a blast. Nothing in the world compares. I switched to my Trout Bum at a second hole and cught fish, but, NOT THE SAME!

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

Your bank account will be sorry that you even picked up that bamboo rod. It will never be the same again. Enjoy the rod.

Ree, you have taken the plunge and it sounds like a pretty good one at that. There are lots of folks that take that step then never look back, and as the good Rev. Rob has stated it will never be the same. That taper that you got is based on one of the classic tapers and should be a real sweet rod to fish. Of course, that sylk line doesn't hurt the combination either. Did you get a chance to talk with Brian while at the show? Super nice guy and a great sense of the business and fairness as well.

Ron...sounds like you got a goodun.

You'll be ok until it looks like this:

------------------
    Oct Woods
    Visit my website:
    [url=http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2h7gi/fishnbanjossliceoflifeincyberspacecopy/index.html:6f3f1]Fishnbanjos Place[/url:6f3f1]

Yeah, between DotMan & Dleo6446, I am hooked on 'boo. Love that ol' SouthBend 291. If I ever get a pile of 'em like Oct Woods or Leo, I'll either be in the funny farm or divorced & livin' in a refrigerator box! They are things of beauty...to look at, cast, and fish.
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

How are they for beginers? My great grandfather had a custom 4 peice bamboo rod that dated probably from the 40's. I wish I could find it

Anthony,
    I am FAR from being an expert. I hope you DO find that 'boo. You will love it! Keep us posted...I'm anxious to hear.
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Hi All,

October Woods, man that picture made my heart flutter and my Visa card started to throb in anticipation. Very nice.

dleo, Yup, Brian is the guy who made the deal for me. This is the second rod and reel from Elkhorn for us. At last years show I bought VEE a 6 wgt two hander and t-4 reel. Both are very impressive. Our guide on a trip last year has never thrown an Elkhorn rod and he was impressed with the feel and castability of that Elkhorn two hander.

Goddess, I'm afraid there is no hope for us.

Being a real "Boo newbie, I'm going to pick the brains of Z and Les Young about good 'Boo before I spend anymore money on rods made from the lovely reed. When we have all these resouces to take advantage of, it would be silly not to.

REE

+ Reply to Thread