+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First attempt at casting

Default First attempt at casting

Got out today for my first lesson in casting. It was much less intimidating than I had thought. I can get the line out about 35 feet and without too much trouble. I will work on smoothing out the technique. I learned a little about what to expect and some of the feelf when the rod loads up. I did discover that my old rod is not too good, but I had a chance to use my coach's backup rod. It was a good day.

------------------
    Randy de Jong, rank beginner but willing to learn

Congrats. You're lucky it went so smoothly(or your talented) I am just learning to feel that pull on the rod. Unfortunetly that pull is usually caused by the tree behind me

D,
    The teacher being taught.
    You may need to slow down your casting on the old glass rod. Newbies tend to be anxious and cast more quickly and that's why your instructor's (stiffer) graphite rod seem to fit your casting style at this time.
    Oh, 35ft on the first go is pretty impressive and perfect distance for our sport. As my 90 year-old fishing partner/mentor says "Never understood all this long distance casting. It's just more line in the water causing a slower hook-set which means the fish has more time to spit your fly out. The irony is the guy across the river from you is trying to cast to your side." Wise lesson!

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

+ Reply to Thread