+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Size Matters

I agree with cycler68. You never really know. Some of the most fantastic strikes I've ever had on a fly rod were from 4 pound plus largemouths hitting a topwater pattern. Sounded like someone threw a Sherman tank in the water!!! Last year, I even had a six pound Drum explode on a streamer the instant it hit the water exposing a third of his body on impact. That's what I love about fishing - there certainly are tendencies, but no hard fast rules to live by which makes every fishing trip an adventure.

It could be that the smaller fish know that if they stay out in the "open" too long, they will become prey to larger fish or from up above, so, "grab it" and run back to cover. The larger fish can move in on the bait and knows all the smaller fish will make room and it can just take it's time when feeding. Also, the younger fish have a lot more energy than the larger fish. Lets face it, we all moved faster in grade school than we did in high school!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

I put it down to the same tendancy that has small children running around like turbo-charged tops while there parents tend to use (have) less energy to spend like that. Or maybe it goes back to what Green Lantern said, in a way, and burning 10 calories takes a small tyke a lot further than his larger parent.

this may be true with some species, but ive read stories of the biggest MUSKIE hitting the hardest, and then they pry the hinges of hell loose when they fight. but overall, it doesnt matter what size to me. a big splash is exciting and gets the adrenaline pumping, and the small hit and the long, hard fight ending in the "big one" is rewarding. heck, any day fishing is better than a day sitting in Biology learning about the fish. yes 8T, i pay attention, even when i dont want to.

Dryfly

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

I've noticed that too with panfish and bass for sure. Another thing that we noticed a few years back where there was an ample supply of yellow jackets. When they hit the water they got smacked with a vengence. Much harder than other bugs. Taking advantage of this I had a lot of fun with a high floating yellow humpy that I painted a black"bee" line on with a magic marker.
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread