+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where did DT's (Double Tapers) go?

Default Where did DT's (Double Tapers) go?

it seems the selection of DT lines has really narrowed. It is really hard to find them.

What happend? Is everyone fishing and casting long distances now ?

For my trout fishing, I most often fish within 30', and even farther than that my DT is fine. Seems like a WF only helps out the shops and the line manufacturers when you fish like I do. Do you really need a WF line with your 3 weight ?

Normand Guest

dont know where you are looking but i just went through the cabelas website and they have a bunch of DT lines for sale. rio, cortland, scientific anglers all have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    dont know where you are looking but i just went through the cabelas website and they have a bunch of DT lines for sale. rio, cortland, scientific anglers all have them.
    Yes, I still use DT's regularly and love them. I have not had trouble finding any whenever I was so inclined. Just a mater of personal preference and application for me.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Sort of on topic. Does anyone know where to get larger weight DTs? I would like to find something in a 14 and 15 weight.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Something to consider regarding Double Tapers vs. Weight Forward lines: http://flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/dtvswf.php

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

The DT lines are still around. I just picked up a 5wt., last week. I don't think there as many as there use to be. I think more people are using WF lines, these days. Rio, Airflo, Orvis, all make them. Kerry, I checked Orvis last week and a 6wt DT was the heaviest I could find. Maybe you could find it on ebay?

I still think that the manufactures and retailers push the sales of the WF lines because they only last half as long as the DT lines...which = more sales.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Since DT's are the ONLY lines I buy ( never need to cast past the "down" taper in my fishing environs), I have NO problem finding what I need in any sporting goods retailer. Maybe the "shortage" is exclusive to YOUR market

I use DT's on smaller boo's and rods 5 wt. and down. Gives me an extra end if the line starts looking gnarlly, mid season. I use WF for 6's and up because I do get caught doing bigger water and salt. Like lake fishing for bluegill and below the dam in Mio on the Main Branch of the AuSable. Don't need WF fishing the beach for running snook but you sure do off a flats boat. I have never made a 50 foot roll cast so that is not an issue. Haven't seen a big problem with availability on either so buy what you like.

Bob

I've looked at SA, Rio, and Cortland. I do not see many offerings in DT. SA has 2 DT lines, and 54 WF.... Cortland's Precision Trout Specific line doesn't even come in a DT, which is wierd to me b/c I would think that would be the DT niche.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that there are not as many DT offerings in the manufacturers lineup. I wish I had old catalogs to compare.

Locally, I would definitely say the fly shops (not necessarily sporting goods stores) don't carry many DT. I could not get RIO DT in stock at my 2 local shops, only SA. I live in prime DT land, IMHO. Small streams abound, and the water is rough, allowing you to fish close.

+ Reply to Thread