+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a line that actually floats....?

Default a line that actually floats....?

so I want a line with a tip that actually floats. It will be a 5 weight for trout.

How are SA, and RIO lines now?

I was not happy with the SA line I bought several years ago with its performance (out of the box, not after years of use). At the time, RIO seemed to be better. I am not sure of the current state of affairs....

thanks
    M

I have always had great luck with Cortland classic 444's. But the Rio's I've used have the advantage of the welded loop at the end if floating the tip is really important to you.

I find the Rio Grand to be great, mine is a few seasons old now and still floats high.
    All the best.
    Mike

I use Rio Classic, Rio Classic Lumilux, Rio Selective Trout and Sci Anglers Mastery Trout.

No complaints on floating with any of them but I do clean my lines regularly.

I clean line after every use and apply flotant to the tip.
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

Rio or believe it or not, the Hi Floater lines from H&H perform the best for me.
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

I'm a big fan of the welded loops, with one of the chief benefits being that I think they float better than lines that are open on the end or that have those braided loops. I have multiple Rio lines (Grand and Trout) and a couple of the Scientific Angler's (GPX and Trout), all with the welded loops. Each float better than my lines without those loops, but in my experience the tips of the Rios float much better than the SA's.

I use a variety of lines, Cortland 333 & 444, Orvis, Sci Anglers, & H&H, and they all float. I clean and dress them regularly, and use a Zap - a - Gap connection which seals the end.

I've had good luck with Rio lines. I recently got a H&H Hi-floater and have been impressed with it, especially when comparing prices!

RIO Gold is about the best that I have used. Two seasons on the Bighorn and lots of fishing in Yellowstone and it has held up just great.

+ Reply to Thread