+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help With a Mayfly tie on a jig

Default Help With a Mayfly tie on a jig

I have been wanting to tie some kind of Mayfly pattern on a jig, something like in the Nor Vise post. So my question since it's not a dry fly and will not be on top of the water what should I do different? Does anyone think if I tie it much like that Mayfly, that it will work on a small jig head? If not what should I do to make it look reasonable as a jig?

Skip

Normand Guest

just tie a pheasant tail nymph on your jig hook

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&r...w=1660&bih=865

a bead head fly of any kind is essentially a jig

I guess the same holds true if I want the extended tail, just tie it huh? I had a guy 2 years ago that wanted me to tie some that would go with Mayfly at the time they were around his fishing spot and I did a brown & black mix tail jig and he liked it, but I still don't as I want it to look like what it is supposed to be. I am guessing as long as I don't put it on a big jig and stay small, 1/64 or 1/32, I can tie it much like I want, but I think my biggest question is what to do what the wings and no need for a post on this I think.

Thank you,
    Skip

I tie Lightning Bugs and Prince nymphs on 1/124 oz. jigs all the time, size 10 hook, I think I may go to 1/80 or 1/64 oz. next time. You just have to remember to work the hook upside down.

I left a 1/16 or 1/32 oz. streamer on a rock last weekend. As you get large heads you get large and long hooks and your option for a realistic reproduction of many insects decrease, as least where I live, but everything is bigger in Texas. Or so I have been told.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

LOL, I know what you mean and would try this project with a smaller hook than I probably would normally do. I have some 1/80 with regular bend #8 so maybe that.

Thanks,
    Skip

You are going to want to imitate a nymph instead of a dun. I would make the tail shorter and replace the wing post and parachute hackle with a wing case and maybe some soft hackle legs.

I thought I may have to go a different direction from the Dun since it is supposed to be on the surface and not under it. I have thought my self to tie, but my attention to jigs has me way behind on terminology and need to dig in on learning the bugs better.

Couple of years back I bought a fly rod and reel (cheap one) and soon after got a much better one and now just need to use it more. With no trout streams and the like here I just have not had to. I tie a lot more jigs than flies and most of my flies are just for my self. I really like tying a lot and just need to get after learning the bugs. So please forgive me if I ask some stupid things most tyers know when it comes to the creatures, LOL!

Thanks,
    Skip

+ Reply to Thread