+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spey Rig is ready for action

Thank you Kind Sir,
    Yep thats the guy Ive been watchin mostly.....He has some more that are alot longer and with different casts and it looks like he is making short casts....
    I was shooting about 100 feet,coulda been more not really sure......mabe the wind was just gettin me,it was perty strong.
    Last edited by jeffro; 09-07-2010 at 02:01 AM.
    I can't seem ta find the sweet taste of the stream

I'll echo Mike Thomas's comment about slowing down. That makes a huge difference. There's a tendency to muscle the rod (since they're so big) but that always ends up in a mess. Keep at, you'll get it. Mike Kinney is an amazing caster. I still watch those videos to see what i'm doing wrong. lol.

I did have a mess a couple times and you guys are right about slowing down and not muscling the cast...i gotta try it when the wind is light.
    Thanks for all the input ....I appreciate it Mucho

Hey Jeffro, so it was your first go and you were only getting it out 100ft!!? Oh man wait till you can do it properly.
    I see from your first post that you are using a wf line, is it a Spey line or a single hand line? A spey line will make the rod feel different to a single hand line. If you can get your hands on a Scandi shooting head of the right weight for your rod it will make a single spey and any other touch and go cast fly out.
    All the best.
    Mike

Howdy Mike,,,,The Rod is an Albright 15'---> 2 handed rod 10/11.....
    The line i have is a Scientific Angler Spey Short head WF 9/10-F @ 120'+54 Head.
    i will try to save up for the Scandi shooting Head....can you recommend what weight please Sir.....cuz I have no idea what is what....just seem to remember .....I want to be able to get to the ducks on the other side of this pond with ease...I know in my heart I can do it and not work so hard.
    Thanks Amigo

Hi Jeffro, I think for a rod of that size and power the grain window for a Skagit head should be 650 to 700 and for a Scandi head maybe 450 to 500 but every rod is slightly different. I would email Albright and ask them for a grain window for your rod for both a Skagit and a Scandi head. The Skagit head is for sustained anchor casts turning over heavy sinking leaders and big flys and the Scandi is a touch and go casting line more suited to poly leaders and smaller flys. With the Skagit head you may need a cheater on the end, but if you got one of the new Skagit flight lines I believe they do not require cheaters.
    The line you have is a good line and I would probably get the casting to a point were you know what you are doing and can cast single and double spey and maybe snap T before trying different lines. A site that has lots about Spey casting is speypages.com they are a nice bunch of guys and really helpfull. Another good place for info and he will often send a line for you to try out before you buy is the Red Shed.
    Hope this helps more than it confuses!!
    All the best.
    Mike

Jeffro, that rod probably would require a 700-750 grain line. Like Mike said, give Poppy over at Red Shed a call. He'll take care of you.

Thank you pspaint,
    I been meanin to call him but just keep puttin it off till I get some money saved up cuz now I just invested in a Nor-Vise from a very Kind Member here on FAOL.......all you folks have really been good to me and eachother ....Thanks for all the Friendships

I'll try to remember to give Poppy a call on Friday that is my next day off.

+ Reply to Thread