+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If money were no object re fly reel?

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    Orvis CFO Click Pawls
    Agreed, although they are not a stretch money-wise compared to most reels mentioned here.

Here's a pic of an early '70s (Hardy made) CFO II. Perfect for 3/4 weight lines.

When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I always wanted a Bauer.
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Cool CFO. You know Hardy made reels for Sage too in that time period.

Bob

Classic Reels for Trout
    Young 15A in 3 1/8", 3 1/2", or Hardy Perfect or St. George
    Modern Reels forTrout or Bass
    Any Tibor of appropriate size

Saltwater Reels
    Tibor
    Classic Saltwater
    Valentine 375 or 400

Steelhead/Salmon
    Classic Reels
    Hardy Salmon Perfects or Young 15A all 4" or larger
    Thompson 500

Modern Reels
    Bogdans

Dreaming of course, wcglass
    Last edited by wcglass; 09-09-2010 at 01:58 AM.

Thunderthumbs, maybe it was the Hardy Bougle? I have the Centenary *S* Lowtech Joe mentioned the Kusse, actually the revised Leonard Mills, also VERY nice.

HCR,

Since your talking about a reel for a 3/4 wt, I would recommend a J. Ryall " Julianne", if you can still find one? I like the pre -wide arbor models better! The Julianne has a first class drag system that can be adjusted down to protect the smallest tippet diameters. The drag system on this reel may be considered by some to be overkill - its that good. IMHO! Even if you had all the money in the world you would just be wasting it on anything that costs more than this reel! Once again IMHO!!! BTW I also have the Ryall 6 for 5/6 wt., so yes I'm sold on the older Ryalls.

Best regards, Dave S. (fishdog54)

If you want another fancy reel name for the sake of name dropping buy a Ted Godfrey, but a Ross is what I would recommend for a nice lightweight 3wt rod.

While I prefer other reels on my bamboo & fiberglass rods, Ross & Abel are what I use on my graphite rods with Ross the choice on the 2-4wts. I have the older Evolutions which have a wide arbor, great drag, (as if that mattered to me), exposed spool edge for palming, a super smooth winding click, incredibly light weight, made in the USA by a great company and they look good too!! My choice in size for a 3-4 wt would be a #1 or a 1.5.

I can't comment on the new version of the Evolution called the Evolution LT but there MAY be a chance you could find a NIB or NOS old version of the Evolution for a steep discount because they were discontinued last year. In either case you can't go wrong with Ross.

You could also buy about three of them for the price of a Ted Godfrey.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Bamboozle; 09-09-2010 at 11:22 AM.

Loop Opti Dry Fly for 5 wt./6 wt. Loop Opti Creek for 3 wt./4wt. Excellent reels, beautiful, exceptional drag. You may not need the drag on the 3 or 4 (although I've had to use it on more than one occassion ), but you damn well should if you're fishing a 5/6 'cause the little trout should be a little bigger!

HCR, If there were 100 flyfishermen reading your post you might get 100 answers to the best reel. I have been using an ORVIS Batenkill 5/6
    for all of my lake and stream fishing. Even pulled a few salmon in with it and I wouldn't trade it. But that's just one mans opinion. It's just like
    buying a car...what suites your wallet and your fancy.

Crunchy

Love my Tibor Spring Creeks!

+ Reply to Thread