+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DT vs Level

Default DT vs Level

I have seen many debates about the differences between WF and DT. I understand how WF works, but im not sure how DT works. I understand its shape, but i dont understand how it enables you to cast better. What advantages does it have over level line?

The taper aids subtlety in the presentation over a level line....supposedly. Less impact on water thru energy dissipation due to taper?
    ....lee s.
    I DO like level lines....for their certain advantages too.

[This message has been edited by lee s (edited 24 February 2006).]

DT has a shorter weightd section which I feel helps it load up easier, specially on small waters and easier to roll cast with the shorter heavy section. You can cast distances with DT. It is also I FEEL on the lighter and full flex rods. Along with the odvious that you can use either end. I use WF while in ID with the bigger waters because my casts are going to be 40+ ft. and also on stillwaters WF. As far as it laying down softer, I will have to disagree. That is the person and the leader. They also have what is called a long belly WF for rivers where the belly (running line) is longer and thinner for easy mends. All WF have different weight foward, running line length. You have to read the specs. I also like the Steelhead WF for big waters, cause that is what it is made for. Just my $0.02

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

I think you are asking why it is tapered and not level. You have a large diameter flyline that ultimately connects to a very small diameter tippet which is tied to your fly. For it all to roll out smoothly in a line, with the fly at the end, you don't want any abrupt changes in diameter. So the end of the line is tapered and connected to a tapered leader.

Jay

[url=http://www.flyfishinggear.info/buyers_guide/fly_lines_guide3.shtm#level:ad2bb]http://www.flyfishinggear.info/buyers_guide/fly_lines_guide3.shtm#level[/url:ad2bb]

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

Anthony, the advantages of a DT over a WF line is that they provide a bit more delicate of a presentation. Secondly they roll cast much better then a WF. Thirdly when one end wears out you can reverse the line.

The advatages of a WF over a DT are they cast farther, throw in the wind a little easier and turn over larger flies better.

Level lines are virtually worthless. Unless maybe if a reasonably delicate presentation of the fly means absolutely nothing.

The only thing a level line is good for is when using it as a running line for a shooting head.

Out west WF lines are used more then DT's.

Rob

Anthony.................
    Let?s get down to basics in our explanations here.
    A double taper line will usually preform better than a weight forward line in situations where you are holding the entire cast in the air. (Better weight transfer down the line.)
    A weight forward line excels when you are going to shoot line to lengthen your cast. (The front taper drags the level running line more easily than the heavy section of line on a double taper. i.e. less friction in the guides.)

[This message has been edited by DickM (edited 24 February 2006).]
    FFF Life Member #22

+ Reply to Thread