+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly Boxes

Default Fly Boxes

I don't remember who posted this a while back, but it got me thinking. I went to Wally World (Walmart) today and thought that I would take a look. Over in like the tooth paste isle (where you can get stuff for travel, like the plastic tooth brush holders, bar soap holders, squirt bottles, etc) and there they were. Small compartment fly boxes (pills) just like the ones I paid $5.95 for at a fly store. The only difference is that they have 5 small compartments on one side and one big one on the other (great for streamers) and it doesn't have the little loop at the top to connect it to a landyard. They are 4" long X 2 1/2" wide x 1" thick and they cost $0.97! Wow! I bought six, and can deffinitly carry at least 4 in my WJ Chest pack. They come in Green, Green with glitter, Blue, Blue with glitter and Hot Pink. Right On!

Fly Goddess

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

I'm jealous. Since getting one of those from Jim Hatch, I've been in 3 Walmarts and have yet to find any more of them. I was hoping to include some in a material swap I'm in but I can see this is going to be a drawn out quest over here in central New York. Great boxes for flies and for beads and eyes.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Hi Folks,

I've been advertising the boxes for
    Wally World for at least 5 years now. Still
    only $.97. If your store does not have them
    in stock, the odds are that your store is
    frequented by fly fishers who read FAOL.*G*
    There are a lot of "lurkers" out there that
    do not post, but read the site daily.*G*
    Warm regards, Jim

In the hardware deptarment there are some plano boxes, really small to really large. They seal better on the top and bottem so your flies stay put, and get this there half the price, the large ones where 3.69 in hardware over 12 bucks in the fishing section.

I went to the local Wal-Mart today. They actually had a few of the boxes (I have been looking at many Wal-Marts with no luck). The best thing is that they were only 50 cents each! What a deal!

I am glad you said that, cause I thought the sign said .50, but, when I got to the check out and she rang .97 I thought that maybe they were in the wrong spot. I will go back and get more but, .97 isn't a bad thing.

------------------

For those of you who have these boxes, do you think a person should drill some very small holes in them to permit some air movement so the flies do not rust if moisture should get into the box or maybe some sort of material to line them with to wick any moisture away? I do not put wet flies in my fly boxes. I am talking about moisture from rain, accidental dunking, perspiration, condensation, etc.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

The similar boxes I have bought at the fly stores don't have any holes, but they might seal a little better than Wally Worlds. Sounds like a good idea (unless a hook point finds its way through one) It will have to be a very tiny hole for my 32's, maybe a piece of close cell foam, got tons of that at Walmart also. The same stuff for club sandwiches, beetles, ect.

------------------

If you are lucky you will find some of the clear ones...I have a few of those from Wal*Mart too. I haven't seen many of them lately, but lots of green, blue and green glitter.

------------------
    "From the Laid Back Lane in the Arkansas Ozarks"

I kinda like the idea of the hot pink one. At least if you drop it you will definitly see it.

------------------

+ Reply to Thread