+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Les Young and Z, it's all your fault

Default Les Young and Z, it's all your fault

VEE and I hit the Bellevue Fly Fishing Show today. Our only show of the year. I was standing at one of the fly tying demos watching a friend tie some incredible stone fly nymphs when a little voice started whispering in my ear.

Right across from his booth was the Elkhorn rod and reel booth. Since I bought VEE her Elkhorn 2 hand 6wgt here last year, I figured they might have a new two hander that was calling my name. When I got to the booth I was drawn to the left hand side where the "boo rods were.

Thinking of those fiesty cutts on the Descutes I decided to test cast a 7 foot 4 wgt. That was my first mistake. With a short double haul it layed out 30 feet of line and dropped the yarn into the casting pool with hardly a ripple. Not just once, but everytime.

Then I thought about Les and Z talking up the "boo experience, so I broke down and bought it.

Yup, REE has his first ever "boo rod and a spiffy new reel to go with it.

The weather is supposed to get overcast on Wednesday, which means a BWO hatch about noon. I'll let you know how it fishes after I get it on the river.

REE

I had the pleasure of 'casting' that rod last year at that show....well not that exact one.
    But it was just dandy. Hurrah for you REE
    See if you can find a Cortland Sylk line for it.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Way ta go Ron.

Ron, congratulations on the new rod! Myself I have resisted the urge to cast any cane rod on the grounds that I do not know anyone that has ONE bamboo rod. It seems to be a bit like Lay's potato chips. No one can have just one. Good luck!

Jeremy

Noahsboyz, I might have missed it, which boo did you get? I bought the Battenkill 7' 3pc 4wt (which they don't make anymore so I couldn't resist). Let my Husband try it and he sold one of his hand guns and got the Penn's Creek 7' 2pc 4wt. Funny thing is, his 2 pc is a faster rod than my 3pc. I agree totaly with Lady Fisher on the Sylk. Perfect combo. However I feel that I should mention, I bought the WF as the rod has printed on it, but, I sure wish I had bought the DT. I like the way it works with the boo better.
    Did you get an extra tip? If you did, the suggestion on the boo sites is to rotate tips, and try to turn the rod when landing fish so that the stress isn't always the same. RIGHT ON!

I'm about to head out the door to pick up the Cortland Sylk line and backing. The guys at the fly shop didn't know Elkhorn had cane rods, so I'll be showing them mine.

Yup, two tips, nice sock and an aluminum rod tube with brass end caps.

Incidently, the 30 foot casts were limited by the length of the casting pool at the show. Looking forward to actually getting it on the river with some small dry flies.

REE

Let me know. I am an advid Bamboo lover and although it is made overseas, I am curious of the weight of the rod compared to the more pricie ones. I e-mailed them, that is how interested I am, on that of a 5wt. and how the flex is as I said I have 2 Orvis bamboo, both same length same wt action but one (Penns Creek 2 pc) has a faster action than the other (Battenkill 3 pc) which is unusual on a multi piece......or is it?!

I'm weighing the need to keep any of my smaller (6#/less) graphites.
    Be forewarned, this will not be your last cane!
    Congrats!!!

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

With my spiffy new reel loaded with a Sylk line, I couldn't wait for the river. Took the set up out back and did some lite lawn casting. It's a slow rod, which suits my casting style nicely (probably why I liked it in the first place). It loads very well with 20 feet of line out and has such finesse. A teacup at 20 feet would make a nice target. With 40 feet or more of line out a slight double haul allows me to shoot another 15 feet easily.

I may have some graphite rods for sale shortly. Just kidding.

It's a nice little rod to cast.

REE

way to go ree welcome to the dark side

+ Reply to Thread