+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looks like a lot of new rods hitting the market next month!!

Quote Originally Posted by BSwan View Post
    Ah!! The RPL.
    My favorite rod for over 10 years.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I know it happens to every rod series at some point, but replace the BIIX? One of the best sticks available in my opinion.

"Think of our ZXL is a refined LL series. The tapers are close but they
    use our G5 graphite which has more feel and is much lighter.
    ColdPass, I have the 486 ZXL and it's a very nice rod but I wouldn't put it up there with your LL's. I had heard it was also similar the SLT, but IMHO, it isn't. The SLT was softer and smoother. Hold on to those LL's! They were great rods.

... and not a single one of all those new rods will improve your casting or help you catch any more fish than the rods you could buy last month.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelnel View Post
    ... and not a single one of all those new rods will improve your casting or help you catch any more fish than the rods you could buy last month.
    Years ago I started out with a Sage DS series. Nice rod and I still fish with it to this day. After a couple of years I reached my limit with it a bought an SLT. My casting improved significantly and as such so did my catch rate. Please don't be so quick to make a snap judgement.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I can see both sides to the debate. If a person casts with 2 rods exactly the same, technological advancements in one SHOULD produce an improved cast.

I'm STILL shy about purchasing a rod that cost more than $200. I know there are some great rods in the $600+ range that I will just DREAM of owning and using!

I will say this...the first fly rod I bought was an entry-level Cabela's rod. I could throw line into the backing with it, because I thought that is what you were SUPPOSED to do. So, I suppose it was a good enough rod. I didn't really enjoy it that much, though. So I put it aside for years and continued fishing with spinning gear. And then early in 2007 I decided to try fly-fishing again, since it seemed flies were the answer to effectively fishing some local warmwater ponds.
    I saw a great deal on a new St. Croix Premier fly rod. 8'6" 5wt. I put a Pflueger Medalist reel on that rod with some Cabela's Prestige Plus line, and headed to one of the ponds. As soon as I started casting, a smile crept onto my face. It stayed plastered there the entire time I fished. It was absolute JOY to fish with! I've been logging over 100 fly-fishing outings/year ever since then. I've expanded my arsenal of rods, and each is a bit different, but all have been good rods. Well, there was one that didn't suit me, and it has found a new home.

So, my point is that a new or different fly rod certainly can increase your enjoyment of fly-fishing, whether it truly improves your casting or not.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

7. Default

Sage is re-releasing the popular xp as the vxp - a mid-priced fast action rod with the xp taper.

+ Reply to Thread