+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sneaky Car Problem

Blog Entries

Question Sneaky Car Problem

hybrid cars are very quiet when they back up and when they go slowly through a parking lot. this means pedestrians in front of you have no idea at all that you're there. they wander all over the place, don't corral their children, stop suddenly, and generally create an awful situation. i really don't want to honk at them because it's rude and loud and will upset them.

the answer is a Bermuda bell such as fancy cars used to have in the 1950s. it makes a sound like a door bell--DINGDONG!--which is just about right for the task. however, nobody makes them anymore, and my attempts to google one up have not been successful.

so perhaps a bicycle bell glued to the outside rear-view mirror would work. the plastic on that mirror has a most amazing finish, though: nothing sticks to it.

my buddies on this forum have solved a lot of problems for me over the past few years--any ideas, guys?
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Normand Guest

toyota was in the news this week demonstrating a prius hybrid that made a whirring sound so people could hear it coming

blowing the horn that came with the car should help to warn people.

there are aftermarket kits to add the back up warning beeper to cars that dont have it.
    Last edited by Normand; 09-03-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Blog Entries

thanks Normand. going forward is my real problem. and the horn is really too loud!
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Casey, i know this may be a long shot but have you tried Ebaby for Bermuda Bells/other kinds of bells/whistles/etc ? You might find something there or at least some ideas.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

How 'bout stick your head out the window and make some funny sound with a Kazoo? ;o)
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

You could try something like this; http://www.cogapa.com/
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Blog Entries

MM, the last Bermuda Bell sold on E=Bay went in 2005. it was a real antique--or old-tique if you want to be technical--and cost over $100 dollars. hope i find something a bit cheaper.

Go to a auto parts store and explain the issue. I will bet they have something you can added under the hood with a inside button. Maybe something with a nice taser sound. You can alway wrap it in fiberglass or something non-combustible and tone it down a little.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Casey, i've got it ! A couple of 'sleigh bells' from Target or the like, fastened to something you can hold in your hand and out the window...they'll think you're Santa ! And yes, i checked Ebaby and the Bermuda Bells are spendy there. Other options would include a single hand held 'dinner/school bell' maybe.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Blog Entries

How about leaving the window down, turning up the volume on your CD player, and popping in the theme song to "Close encounters of the Third Kind"? (or "Dueling Banjos" in Nashville...)

Ed

+ Reply to Thread