+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need advice

Default Need advice

That should open the floodgates............

Hope this is ok to post here but seemed logical.
    I am having a Cane rod built - Payne 100 7-1/2" 4wt
    I am looking for a classic reel for it and am looking at some used J.W. Young
    Beaudex (preferred) Condex or Pridex mainly because I am cheap and I also like the looks.
    (I have an old Ambidex spinning reel handed down from my father)

The question, aside from some concern over the reel foot fitting the reel seat, is there a clear winner among these reels for the application? (small to med. trout streams).
    I don't see much difference between the reels aside from left/right hand conversion abilities and possibly weight.
    What would be your choice for a cane rod?
    Thanks in advance
    DuFf

Normand Guest

i just bought a fishon kodiak #3 reel for my new fiberglass. maybe it would work for your situation. or not.

http://tjsbearden.mybisi.com/product...ishon+fly+reel

I am certainly not the guy to give you advice on a specific vintage reel since I don't own any and know very little. However, I have a few cane rods now and one thing I learned is that they need a little heavier reel than you might think to get a good balance. I suggest waiting until you have the rod in hand and then visit a local shop to try on a few different weight reels and see what feels good. Then you can narrow your search.
    Shaky;

I agree with Shaky Wadr. Boo rods tend to be tip heavy and if your tackle set up is not properly balanced, casting can be very fatiguing. i suggest that you beg, steal or borrow a variety of reels and test try them all. I encountered a similar problem with my 8' 6wt boo rod and I found it best balaced with an old lage diameter Pflueger Medalist reel that I have customized using One-Pfoot parts.

Duff,

In my opinion, a 3" or 3 1/4" Young Beaudex will be a fine complement to your Payne clone.
    Weight should be just fine.
    One Pfoot now has Young replacement reel feet if that is a problem.

Naturally, this is not recommended, but I have a friend that's fished a 3" Beaudex for probably 40 years and has never cleaned or lubed it!! Tough little buggers!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

an orvis large arbor reel works great on my bamboo rods... When gemrod was down fer a while he let me try a large arbor reel of his... I likeded it so went & got me one after he went back home... Ballances nicely on my 5/6wt...
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

Problem solved.
    The Rod Builder in an unexpected display of generosity has offered a 3" Beaudex with a new p-foot installed on it for a pittance.
    He will mortise the reel seat to fit it anyway and lube and shine it up.
    He is a superb craftsman, a straight shooter and possibly the nicest guy in Arizona.
    Thanks for the replies, I have an older Orvis Battenkill Mark V as a backup but thought it might be a tad heavy.

DuFf

+ Reply to Thread