+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking to put together a Switch/Spey outfit

Default Looking to put together a Switch/Spey outfit

Hey guys,

I'm looking at putting together a spey/switch outfit for a couple PNW trips this fall, as well as tooling around with on some of my larger local waters. I think I'm gonna spin up one of the Batson 10'8" switch blanks, and was wondering at what reels I should be looking at to complement that setup. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

I have both a 10,6" and an 11 ft switch rod--also a spey rod that I seldom use.

I have Ross CLA #4 and a Vortex reel for the switch rods.. The later is a Finnish reel that I think I bought from a fly shop in Maupin OR. and it seems to be ok.

They are both set up to be interchangable - that is, I have backing and running line and tend to use changable heads like the Rio AFS or Skagit heads.

You want to make sure your reel can accomodate the amount of backing and line you want. Also, it is fairly important to have the reel balanced the rod. You might get a response from someone who has a similar rod.

Also, call Poppy at the Red Shed fly shop in Idaho -- find him on the internet and Google -- he can pretty much set you up or give you enough advice that you can make a pretty good descision.

You want to make sure your reel can accomodate the amount of backing and line you want. Also, it is fairly important to have the reel balanced the rod. You might get a response from someone who has a similar rod.
    Those are probably the most important criteria. You definitely want a reel that will balance the longer rod. I don't have that rod but I have two 11 foot switch rods as well as half a dozen spey rods and reel balance is important when casting. For the switch rods I like a reel in the 7 ounce (or heavier) range. Also make sure it is capable of holding the amount of line you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthoman View Post
    Also, call Poppy at the Red Shed fly shop in Idaho -- find him on the internet and Google -- he can pretty much set you up or give you enough advice that you can make a pretty good descision.
    Highly recommend you do this. I called Poppy when I was putting my first spey outfit together and he gave me great advice. Extremely nice fellow. His web site is www.redshedflyshop.com.

Um, by the way, that's an interesting name you have there Merkin.

TFO came out with some inexpensive LA reels.
    Randy

Orvis Battenkill LA Big Game reel 2 sizes larger than the rod (you need a lot of room for spey lines). Not too expensive, quite reliable, good warranty service if necessary.

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it. I dig Poppy's site, I'll have to give him a ring.

+ Reply to Thread