+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Treating the cork grip of a new rod......?

Default Treating the cork grip of a new rod......?

I have never done anything to a cork grip. Now I have a new rod and the cork looks so new....I sense I want to treat it or seal it with something before I fish with it. Would someone please tell me what to do? Careful now....

I have been told or read so many different things. I do not wish to just pick a method and do it to my new rod.....and then be unhappy with the results.

Do nothing....let it wear in like a good old pipe or coffee cup....

Treat it with a cork sealer like something from Trondak I think I read

Rub it with Ture Oil....a gun oil...

Rub "Guberod Rod Varnish" into it. ( I have never heard of Guberod Rod "Varnish". Perhaps there is one.
    I have not searched as am camping and no internet. So this a quickie question. I know there is a
    Guberod "Rod Cement" and a Guberod Rod "Finish". If Guberod has a rod varnish then how about
    any old varnish?

I am wondering about just smearing it with soy sauce.

Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. My goal is just to coat/treat it with something before I take it out fishing in water, mud, brush, rain...etc. I just feel the desire to put something on this brand new looking cork before I use the rod.

I would opt for the "do nothing ... let it wear in like a good old pipe or coffee cup ..."

A slimed cork is a loved cork.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    I would opt for the "do nothing ... let it wear in like a good old pipe or coffee cup ..."

A slimed cork is a loved cork.
    That slime and grime bring you braggin' rights and lend themselves to balancing the rod more to you

kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Blog Entries

I seal my grips with U-40 Cork Seal.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Thanks for the answers.

KB....that was one of the ones I was pondering.
    Does it change the color....or just seal it pretty good?

Blog Entries

Like putting an oil or varnish finish on wood, it will accent the grain in the cork a bit. I like that look. I am not fond of the super fine and pretty uniformly colored cork grips. To me they are painfully plain and drab looking. It isn't a stark difference, just enough to add some interest and the grip stays looking nice a bit longer.

But then with me dying cork, rattan wraps, gluing up exotic cork grips and the like, no one would ever think I like a bit of pizzaz in a grip.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Thanks loads Kevin. I have a lot of rods I have not fished with yet.....if ever. I have my answer. If I decide to fish one I will give it the U-40 treatment.

I also have intentions of building a few rods. I have several blanks. So I wanted to know more about treating the new looking cork....because I intend to build some rods to fish with.

I am just trying to build fishing rods. After seeing some of the class work you and others do....no way am I going to ever get that good. So I am just going to enjoy building them to suit me....ie grip choice, guide choice and placement, etc....

Thank you very much Kevin. You have been extremely helpful to me...whether you know it or not. Nice...

Now I know what I wanted to find out....and can just move on with it.

Thanks again

Bass_Bug Guest

I use U-40 as well. Even when applying it to the cork it doesn't look wet or darken the cork like you would expect. Once it dries you really cant see any change. U-40 soaks in and strengthens and toughens the cork.

I use Guberod rod varnish but not on cork. It's thicker and the only think that it would do is give the cork a clear shiny covering. It would look like a new rod with plastic shrink wrap over it.

WELL!

I certainly am NOT going to use varnish then.

Thanks for the tip.

If it is a good quality, clear cork, I wouldn't do anything to it. If there are flaws in the cork (not necessarily a bad thing) and the grip includes some burl or mixed rings, I normally put Tru-Oil on it to bring out the features. A couple of applications of Tru-Oil will darken it slightly and it will be shiney at first but will not be slippery.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

+ Reply to Thread