+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Squid fly pattern for the surf

Default Squid fly pattern for the surf

I was wondering if a squid fly pattern would work for the surf. It's one of the top cut baits for shark, I know it's a different game but I feel like tying flies tonight.

Thanks
    I believe I can fly fish

Well, there's only one way to find out...tie a few up and give them a whirl.

TT

I did, I tied a Mr. Squid pattern, I'll toss it to the suds as soon as I get the chance.
    I believe I can fly fish

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

I tied this one up in a swap a few months ago. Very nice looking squid fly tied with Steve Ferrar's Flash Blend. One of my favorite tying materials.

75055.jpg
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

Squid patterns are very effective, remember when fishing them you want long fast strips then a brief pause, I tie mine clouser style with heavy eyes tied on the back of the hook to get it down & keep it down.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Here's a simple squid that utilizes an oblong, flattened lobe made of E-Z Body. The tailing is made of long webby hackle that encases Sili-Legs, with black alloy eyes tied in just forward of the bend, Clouser style.
    Other effective colors were, as you can guess White & Chartreuse.

It's a fly that I used from time to time on the coast from Santa Cruz to San Francisco when I lived there. It was effective on rockfish around the jetties and finger reefs ( these fish are not picky ) and on occasion, California Halibut off the beaches around harbors, but no more so than a Clouser tied to the same basic color and size.
    I gave up on the pattern eventually, simply because it really didn't produce any better results than faster, simpler ties. Around the finger reefs, a flies longevity could often be measured in minutes.

Best, Dave

Rockfish Squid_resize.jpg
    Last edited by Dave E; 08-27-2010 at 07:02 PM.

I was very excited about tying squid patterns but after tying a couple I think I'm just going to go with a white wooly bugger pattern, even an easy pattern takes some work. Thanks everybody for your input.
    I believe I can fly fish

+ Reply to Thread