+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New SAGE freshwater Rods for 2011...

Quote Originally Posted by Slate_Drake_9 View Post
    Maybe, but a broom handle is much closer to a fast rod than a wet noodle is to even the slowest fishing rod in the world.

Not for me. The faster the better.

I bought a Winston years ago. The thing was ssssssslllllllllooooooooooowwww; a wet noodle. I fished it once then sold it.

I own a Sage 8124 two hander that has been describe not as a broom handle but a 2x4 by some. I love it and it is my go to rod for winter steelheading.

Some rods are wet noodles, some rods are 2x4s. It is all in the eye of the caster.

Still looking for a 16 weight double taper line.
    Last edited by Kerry Stratton; 08-20-2010 at 03:41 PM.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stratton View Post
    Still looking for a 16 weight double taper line.
    Check our Radio Shak. It would be a level line instead of DT, but they sell a lot of plastic coated wires. I'm sure one of them would fit the bill.
    Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

[QUOTE=rainbowchaser;381949]
    There hasn't been a slow graphite rod made to my knowledge for quite some time now. If there has, I'd like to know about it.
    The TFO rod the company donated as raffle prize to the Michigan fish-in was used for the distance casting competition is definately a slow graphite rod. Unfortunately I can't recall the model. Those who do some casting with grass or glass were much more comfortable with it than the fast rod guys.
    I believe I casted all of TFO's rod models and have yet to find anything that comes closer than med-fast. If you're use to casting the ultra-fast rods that are on the market these days, I'm guessing that this would feel slow to you, but to someone that regularly casts a slow rod, not even close.

Check our Radio Shak. It would be a level line instead of DT, but they sell a lot of plastic coated wires. I'm sure one of them would fit the bill.
    I have a legitimate need for a double taper 16 weight line. Not surprising, you are no help.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

I have a legitimate need for a double taper 16 weight line. Not surprising, you are no help.
    Did you actually think I made that post in an attempt to help?

I have to say I find it just appalling that we have not received any kind of press release or even email about the new rods from SAGE. They were a Sponsor here for many years until they went with some hot shot ad agency. I guess I really expected some loyalty on their part - we did a very good job for them. Just goes to show.....how very sad.

Did you actually think I made that post in an attempt to help?

I think you are of no help what so ever. Done.

There hasn't been a slow graphite rod made to my knowledge for quite some time now. If there has, I'd like to know about it. Orvis' original "Trout" 8' 6 weight is a nice slow rod for graphite standards. Mine is from '79. I haven't played with the newer versions of the "Trout" that were made in the 90's and early 2000's, but can say that all of Orvis' rods in the "superfine" series that I came to love in the 80's became medium and fast actioned rods when they went to the sanded and painted blanks. Don't even want to talk about the Trout Bum superfines they make today. They're a disgrace to the superfine name.

Orvis Trident TL 8'4" 3 weight is a nice slow rod, as is the "Tippet" 7'6" 3 weight.

As far as your wet noodle analogy, I'd suggest that you've never had the pleasure of casting a well designed slow action fly rod if that's your impression of a slow rod.

Probably the first time she has been out of the tube in 15+ years. I agree, these old Orvis Superfine rods were SLOOOWWW. I am not calling any rod a broom handle or wet noodle.
    Read my first post again. Broom handle to one man, a fast action rod to another.
    Slow rod to one man, a wet noodle to another.
    To each their own. Some like fast, some like slow.

Good luck, Tony

I have a legitimate need for a double taper 16 weight line
    Kerry, I think Orvis makes a 16wt. DT (at least they use to). I would check with them.

Have you thought of using a spey line if you can't find a 16w DT?

+ Reply to Thread