+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's too late for me

Default It's too late for me

Ok I'll abmit it I'm hooked on this thing called fly fishing! but I have to admit another thing, I'm finacially embarassed also so the reason for this question. I have a pretty nice 6WT. that I have owned for more than 10 years and feel I'm pretty good with it but we have one river that is pretty brushy and I like to get off the beaten path often so I was thinking about a 3 or 4WT in a short package say 6-7 foot in a packable outfit say a 4 or 5 piece but I don't know if I should just tie one up or purchase one! I figure I could come up with $150 to spend so if anyone can fill my mind with good ideas I'd appreciate it! Later,

Kirk

Ksmirk,
    Keep in mind the price of a good line, reel, backing all add up to make the initial purchase price more than you first envision. If you say you can scrounge up around $150, then that leaves you only around $70 left after the purchase of the aforementioned items. It's not going to be easy finding a rod with the features you're looking for, and for only $70. Now if you mean that you can spend $150 on a rod, and then still purchase the other needed items afterwards, it's now a whole new ballgame. I just picked up a very nice 5'6" 2/3 weight, it's kinda specialized in uses, but I love it. Good luck

Hi Kirk,

There are a ton of very nice rods out there to spend your hard earned bucks on. If your like me, and have to watch every penny, you might check out Cabela's 5 piece stowaway rod. With rod, reel, line and rod case it runs $150-$170 (that's with the CSR reel.

I have the 5 piece in a 3 wgt that I absolutely love. It's on the slow side of medium action, which suits my casting stroke to a tee. Very serviceable little rod. The line is a pretty good WFF line. I fished with the original line for a couple years, then upgraded the line when I had some extra cash.

The CSR reel is a pretty darn nice reel. They didn't offer it in the combo when I got mine, but a friend purchased one last year for the Central Washington Fish-In and I had a chance to use it. Very nice for the money spent.

All in all it's a pretty good deal. I fish my little 3 wgt a lot and enjoy every minute of it.

Ron Eagle Elk

Another vote for the Stowaway 5 piece. I have the 4 wt. combo, and I really like it. Good balance, good action. Nice rod. Comes with a good solid pack case that makes it easy to transport. Took it backpacking into the Rockies, and it really fit the bill.
    CJ

------------------
    The only limitations we have are the ones we put on ourselves.

I too will vote for the stowaway. Great feeling and action for the price. The reel is okay and the line as well, but, I did get a few years out of the line. I broke about 4" off the tip during a mountain lightening storm (had to get off the water very quick). Cleaned out the end cap, glued it back on and my nephew has been using it every since. Keep in mind that there is no warranty on these.
    Fly Goddess

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

I built a Stowaway from a kit, my first, as a Christmas gift. I was able to get it out and catch a couple of bluegills and a largemouth in January. Can't wait for spring.

I would "just tie one up". Whatever you choose to "tie up", it will mean more to you......probably.
    You can get some great "custom" kits from some of the rod guys. If some of the ones from this site do not respond to you, email me. I'll get a guy for ya.
    ....lee s.

I'd tie you up a Stow Away.
    I had one for a while. It'll be a good rod for that bushbustin' you plan on doing.
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

Yes the line, backing, reel, seems to be where the main cost seems to be but I have some other money stashed away for that so it would just be for the rod. I got a kit one time and I pretty well had to get rid of everything but the rod, I guess I'm just too picky. I've been checking out that Stowaway and for the price between the rod kit and rod I'd just have to get the rod already built. Later,

Kirk

You might also take a look at the "Brunsell Li'l Streamer" rods at [url=http://www.dorber.com/flyrods.html:47299]http://www.dorber.com/flyrods.html[/url:47299]

Bob

I forgot to mention, "Global dorbeR" is a sponsor.

------------------
    There is a fine line between fly fishing, and standing in the water waving a stick.

[This message has been edited by Sawkill (edited 20 February 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread