+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A geat carving knife

Default A geat carving knife

My truly wonderful, now deceased, mother in law gave us a carving knife about 40 years ago. It is a Chicago Cutlery 66S. It is my go-to carving knife, even though we now own a much more expensive cutlery set. This knife takes an amazing edge and holds it for a long time.

I recently bought a hard sided pop-up camper that I have come to just love. (Check out Aliner. http://www.aliner.com/design/homepage5.php )

Today I went to a Goodwill store to buy some stuff for the camper and, guess what, found a Chicago Cutlery 66S for 25-cents! Life is good!

Folks, keep an eye out for a chance to buy this carving knife.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi Oldfrat

I know exactly how you feel. That's one of those little pieces of luck or coincidence that just makes your day (week? month? year? life?). It's like going to a garage sale and finding a mint-condition, American-made Medalist reel with an extra spool for $3.00. Life can be very sweet! 8T

Well Gents,
    I made a score and here's a plan that precipitated after my purchase. I can finally look to the lectern of our club "The Moonme Creek Flyfishers" and see myself pontificate the great secrets of our prescious a-vocation with a sense of profound wisdom after some serious study for a few months. Over the years I have potmarked valuable information from these volumes when I was able to check them from our local library, but procurement was untimely when needed, seems the volumes were always being ripped off by profit-teers and there was a considerable wait to find a source that would lend them to the main branch for my use when I needed them.(geez... why do people steal library books?) I couldn't dent the information in the two weeks I was able to borrow the magnus opsi or is it opises or opusae, nor could I afford the price to buy them outright for myself. The credit card was whipped out and whistled a payment over the net for a price I found to my liking. I got a hold of Ernest Schwiebert's "Trout 1 and 2" for $4.89. May the good man rest in peace! Oh... and I did have to add $3.99 for shipping.
    Beer and burritos will be served at my lectures.
    Last edited by hairwing; 08-15-2010 at 10:47 PM.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Well darn, oldfrat, I think I paid a whole dollar for the Chicago Cutlery boning knife i found at Goodwill. It's a little hard to read the number I think it's a 50 series, stainless steel does a great job on tomatoes and other items requiring a sharp blade. Last week I picked up a landing net that appears to have a little age on it and I believe several stories have been taken from it. It has a cotton net, tan in color, with several cut strands, which I figured occured when a fly got caught in the net. I think it was a little over $2 with tax. I repaired the net but have decided to us it as decoration as float tubing would be hard on it and I have a restoration project and an old aluminum frame net I can use from my tube. I love a bargain, especially if it's something I can use regularly.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Hey oldfart,
    Glad you're enjoying the Aliner. just got back from a camping trip in ours. they truly are great machines. We have a slightly upgraded Classic model. Hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it.
    Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

Steve,

I spent one night in it on the way back from where I bought it. I was really beat from the long drive out and back when I spent my first night in it. It felt good, but I really could not savor it as I was so tired.

It then spent a lot of time in a dealer's shop once I got back. The big task was putting electric brakes on it, which also required a new axle.

Then last week I got to park it near a trout stream and test it. it performed wonderfully! Mine was selected to provide comfort for a man and a dog, with maybe an occasional son or grandchild. It has a double bed in back that raises on a gas strut for extra storage. The mid section has AC, H&C sink, 3-way refrigerator, stove and furnace. The front has a dinette/single bed, closet and hidden porta-potty

I was hugely pleased with how comfortable I was in it and how easy it was to use. It is well worth the price premium I paid over having a canvass pop up. Night and day!

I made notes last week of what I needed in it and have now fixed all of them. I was scared in retrospect, for example, to find that I had driven it hundreds of miles with no way to change a tire.

It will get another 3-night trial, without dog, this week. I'm expecting to really enjoy it!

That's great. They really are incredibly easy to travel in. it's the perfect pop-up for one or two people. I have the essentially same set-up with couch that turns into bed ,dinette area that turns into bed, stove sink,,refrig,,ac/heat. they are pricey but for someone like myself who is apt to have back problems, the convenience was worth the price. I'm planning on taking it to YNP area next summer and don't anticipate any problems pulling it over the beartooth. They are especially nice set-up next to a trout stream.
    Enjoy.
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

Oldfrat I'm happy for ya! Sounds like ya got a good deal there and alot of enjoyment...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

+ Reply to Thread