+ Reply to Thread

Thread: South African needs advise: fly fishing Little Bighorn?

1. Default South African needs advise: fly fishing Little Bighorn?

Hi, I'm from Cape Town, South Africa. Next year June/July me and my bamboo will visit Montana and most likely South Dakota as well. I wonder whether fly fishing the Little Bighorn river is possible? What small streams would you recommend? I'm looking forward to your recommendations. Klaus

This is an excerpt from another fishing website:

"The Little Bighorn River is a tributary of the Bighorn River in the United States in the states of Wyoming and Montana. The Little Bighorn rises in extreme northern Wyoming, along the north side of the Bighorn Mountains. It flows northward into Montana and across the Crow Indian Reservation, past the towns of Wyola, Lodge Grass and Crow Agency, and joins the Bighorn near the town of Hardin. Game Fish Opportunities: Brown Trout, Channel Catfish, Mountain Whitefish, Rainbow Trout, Smallmouth Bass The Montana section of the Bighorn has one tributary of note to anglers, the Little Bighorn River. This river carries a heavy silt load at times, but the upper reaches in particular have some good fishing. However, the Little Bighorn runs entirely within the boundaries of the Crow Reservation and access to it is next to nil. "

I would look into this a bit further, perhaps an email to one of the local fly shops in Hardin or Ft. Smith Montana.

If you are in the area, I would suggest the Bighorn river rather than the Little Bighorn. Perhaps that is what you meant.
    Last edited by Tyro; 08-10-2010 at 11:50 PM. Reason: One of these days I'll learn me how to spell.

3. Default

Thank you for the comprehensive info Tyro. I'm in contact with a previous superintendent of LBH Battlefield, maybe he can get me access to that part of the river. All the best, Klaus

I don't know anything about the Little Bighorn, but... I do know that we will be having a Montana Fish-in the week of July 15, 2011 at the Campfire Lodge Resort near West Yellowstone, Montana. You should join us.

Here is a link to the information.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...July-15th-2011
    Tim

+ Reply to Thread